Oxygen Sensor Removal

EdP

I've owned a 2002 SC430 since the summer of 2001, but this is the first time I've come to this forum.

The check engine light is on and has been diagnosed as a bad oxygen sensor. My dealer is 150 miles away, so I try to have service done locally if I can.

I found a local mechanic who comes highly recommended and who has done some work on local SC430s (there are precious few of these beauties around here). He ordered and received the sensor from a Lexus dealer who's about 60 miles from here.

Problem ... he was unable to remove the bad sensor (this is the one on the front passenger side) because he didn't have enough room to manipulate the wrench. Naturally, I wasn't looking over his shoulder, so I don't know any other details about his attempts.

Anyone have any experience with this sensor removal?

Thanks

EdP

I don't have a sc either but it should not be too hard for a good tech as it is the simpliest job around.

I replaced my LS ones with universals in about 10 minutes a side using a wrench not even the proper o2 socket which i have.

He has the proper sockets and yes, he can fit the socket on the sensor, but he doesn't have enough room to move the handle. At least that's the way I understand it.

I'm looking forward to hearing from someone who has such an experience with an SC430.

I've owned a 2002 SC430 since the summer of 2001, but this is the first time I've come to this forum.

The check engine light is on and has been diagnosed as a bad oxygen sensor. My dealer is 150 miles away, so I try to have service done locally if I can.

I found a local mechanic who comes highly recommended and who has done some work on local SC430s (there are precious few of these beauties around here). He ordered and received the sensor from a Lexus dealer who's about 60 miles from here.

Problem ... he was unable to remove the bad sensor (this is the one on the front passenger side) because he didn't have enough room to manipulate the wrench. Naturally, I wasn't looking over his shoulder, so I don't know any other details about his attempts.

Anyone have any experience with this sensor removal?

Thanks

EdP

Hi there,

Just had my engine light checked today on my 2002 sc430. The code showed an o2 sensor, possibly. There are 4 in total. Bank 1, which are just below the manifold (exhaust manifold), bank 2, which are mid positioned to the doors, under the car. I take it yours are bank 1. To access these both covers under the engine bay must be removed. I am in the uk so my car is right hand drive. Therefore on the passenger side three heat shields have to be removed.The bolts on these are very delicate, especialy the 3/8 fitted just above the catalist.Once removed however the sensor can be removed with a plumbers tap wrench. The drivers side is much easier, and if the connector ( wiring) is coated in oil, probably from a leaking powersteerig pump, you may only have to change the fuses, after cleaning the wiring and sheathing it to protect from further saturation. This is a very poor set up, especialy from this premier japanese car. Lexus take note.

Hope this helped, Asif