Scion Stereos

nc211

Anyone have any opinions about the Pioneer Scion stereos used in the Scion cars? I ask, because the 4runner guys are buying them up like hotcakes, for around $100 or less. I guess they're super easy to install, as they're perfect fits, perfect plug n' play, and report much improved sound. Plus, you can control "and charge" an ipod straight from the unit, and also install xm satelite. I'm in the running for one on ebay, an 08' model. The oem in the 4runner is kind of lame. It certainly don't bump up my !Removed!, and keepinz' dem' pimps from snippin' at my ho's...fo' shizell.

Are they any good? Anyone messed with one?

For a hundred bucks and you gat all that? what's the question? Yeah that's a good deal. Heck, get 2 and use one as a back up! Since I swtiched to my ipod instead of CD's man was that a God send! I listen to alot of music in the car, and now I have 3000 songs in a 2''x3.5'' flat jukebox, and all my favorite movies. That alone is worth the change in my opinion, but add to that you say it upgrdes the sound and has a few other options, I would snatch that up no question. Especially when you consider the Scion was geared for the kids and so the stereo's in them are a major feature and attraction. I've had to pull one or two out of a dash to get to something else or do a mod, but I wasn't aware that it's a direct fit into a 4runner. But if it is, then I wouldn't even think twice about it.

And if you ain't bumpin da !Removed!, den how you keep da ho's in line? All dat yappin I gotta hear fo fo seconds btween da songs is all a mac can take!!!

You're spot on right about them being targeted towards kids, which is also why you can pick one up for pretty cheap. I guess, from what I've read, kids buy the Scion becuase it's affordable, and "cool", and then instantly yank the stock stereo for their custom jobs. Furthermore, if I buy this unit, I'll turn around and put my stock stereo up on ebay, and recoup about 50% of the cost "depending on purchase price of Scion unit". Some guys report getting theirs for like $50-$60 bucks, which is increadible. Further reading, I was told these Scion units have digital sound reproduction "dsp" features as well. If it works out the way I think, the actual I pod cable will cost more than the head unit itself.

From what I can gather, the Scion units are made by Pioneer, just like the units in the LS400's. The stock unit is made my Fujistsu. It ain't bad, but like you said Smooth, for that kind of money, why the heck not? It's also my understanding that Toyota has common connectors across the model lines, making it easy to swap out steroes here and there.

It's not a big deal. I know a lot of the 4Runner guys swap out their stock HUs for the Scion HU... I rode in a t4r.org member's 4Runner who had a scion HU, it wasn't any better than the stock! Heck, the only thing better was that I think you can change the color of the lights at night <_< . Sound quality wasn't even much better.. So in my opinion, I DONT RECOMMEND IT

It's not a big deal. I know a lot of the 4Runner guys swap out their stock HUs for the Scion HU... I rode in a t4r.org member's 4Runner who had a scion HU, it wasn't any better than the stock! Heck, the only thing better was that I think you can change the color of the lights at night <_< . Sound quality wasn't even much better.. So in my opinion, I DONT RECOMMEND IT

Interesting Dens, you're the first post I've read that said it wasn't much difference! From what I've gathered on the 4runner site, everybody seems to think it's the best mod they've done. Eitherway, the Ipod and satelite radio controls are worth it to me. The ability to actaually control your ipod from your steering wheel controls is well worth the $75 +/- after it's all done, and charge it at the same time. One less thing to fumble around with while driving. In addition to an extra aux. input line. Since this is going to become the family wagon for several more years, I'm betting a DVD player will be in the future for Jr. to watch his Bob The Builder movies on. The ability to plug in the sound to the aux. jack will be nice. Plus, the ability of the CD player to read MP3 compressed audio, which will allow me to have just one CD with a lot more music on it. I do wish the unit had bluetooth ablility though, for my phone and blackberry. But, someday....

Well Dens, I'm taking your advice amigo, I'm not going to do it. I lost my ebay bid at the last second, at 3:00am in the morning, after watching it sit for a week with no activity. I don't have the time, nor the patience to sit and watch ebay at 3:00am to make sure someone doesn't screw me over at the bell. So, I'm just going to save my money, and keep on enjoying what I've already got, which to be honest with you, you're right, it ain't that bad to begin with. Plus, I don't have to buy some $70 ipod cable and take my car apart installing anything. Afterall, it is a Toyota, so it ain't that bad to begin with.

Good choice! ;) I thought it was a good mod too, till I actually heard one from a member on that site! When I heard it in his 4Runner, I was not impressed. Heck if you blindfolded me and made me listen to both of them w/o knowing which was which, I would say they were the same Pioneer HU! lol. =P If you ever want to replace your stereo, go for a better one. The Scion HU does fit perfectly into our stereo slots, but as I said, NOT WORTH IT. =) I would rather save up someday and buy the Navi HU to replace my stock HU lol. :P

Something fishy about this radio. I lost the bid at the last second, to a $71 bid. I started at $51, it sat for a week, then someone jumped in at $52 late last night, I jumped up to $60, and went to bed. Then at the last second, a 3rd bidder bought it at $71 and won. However, almost instantly, an exact match showed up for bidding, with the addition of the ipod cable. No reserve, supposedly "last guy said the same thing, but autobid up to $50". Below is the two descriptions. The first one was the original description for the one I lost. The second one is the new radio up now. The websites even look the same, same layout, lack of bells and whistles. This model is rare on ebay, as most of them on there are older models..... If you ask me, this is the same radio, and the seller used a different name to "buy" the radio and start over again, with hopes of getting more money. You tell me guys, see any similiarities in these two descriptions?

Original Description:

This auction is for a factory radio that will fit 2005-up Scion Tc, 2007-up XB, XD, and XA. This came out of a new Scion XB. The customer wanted an after market system in place of the factory. This radio works perfect and is in great condition. This stereo will also work with vehicles that have steering wheel controls, and the ipod/aux port in the center console. This radio DOES NOT come with the vehicle specific mounting brackets that are needed to have this installed.

New Description:

Up for auction is a factory radio that will fit 2005-up Scion Tc, 2007-up XB, XD, and XA. This came out of my 2008 Scion XB (T1808). This radio works perfect and is in great condition. This stereo will also work with vehicles that have steering wheel controls, and the ipod/aux port in the center console. I am including the Scion iPod cord that connected to my 08 xB center console. This radio DOES NOT come with the vehicle specific mounting brackets that are needed to have this installed. All sales are final, check my feedback and bid with confidence.

Not that I care, or am willing to do anything about it, but if this is indeed the same guy trying again, because he didn't like my earlier bid, can they do this on ebay?

Huh that is weird. :huh: I find ebay sometimes either too good to be true, or a rip-off. Anyways so I talked to my 4Runner friend last night, and now he's getting tired of his Scion HU he put on last year, and wants to install the Scion NAVI HU! :wacko::wacko::wacko: