Should I Get 2008 Rx400h?

I've been reading about all these inconvenience that Lexus imposes on it's faithful subjects. Namely not being able to operate touch screen NAV and Phone. I come from the world of Acura MDX that has on of the most intuitive and easy to use NAV system. There is no way i'm going to put up with not being able to use NAV effectively while driving.

So, my first question is whether my fears have any merit. My second question is whether there is an override or lockpick for 2008 RX400h?

Thanks,

I've been reading about all these inconvenience that Lexus imposes on it's faithful subjects. Namely not being able to operate touch screen NAV and Phone. I come from the world of Acura MDX that has on of the most intuitive and easy to use NAV system. There is no way i'm going to put up with not being able to use NAV effectively while driving.

So, my first question is whether my fears have any merit. My second question is whether there is an override or lockpick for 2008 RX400h?

Thanks,

You really should go to the world of a stand-alone GPS like a Garmin 7200 or similar. There are so many positives that have been posted elsewhere that it makes the in-car GPS system appear to be primitive. The price of a car-NAV is way out of proportion to the cost of a stand-alone and the functionality is limited at best. Then there is the outrageous cost of upgrades.

Entering data into the screen while driving is probably not a good idea for obvious safety reasons. There are voice commands that can be used while driving but people have had mixed results with their usefulness.

The new portable GPS units are probably better than the built-in nav systems but you need the nav for resale. Everyone buying one of these used will want it.

I think the BT speakerphone works quite well. You need to record a keyword for each number for voice command dialing.

Thanks,

I own both an Acura TL and an 08 RX400h. The TL is several years old as a second car.

I love the Navi system and I agree it has a better user interface design.

I find the RX Navi system slightly inferior in some ways to the Acura offering but fairly good.

The voice recognition feature will let you enter a destination fairly easily while driving and the Bluetooth

connection to the phone works well. It would not be enough to discourage me from the RX400h.

Some features on the Navi will work in motion such as panning and zooming.

There are so many other things that I love about the RX that the Navi is a very minor issue.

The hybrid drive system with a CVT tranny is amazing. I find the finnish on the Lexus a bit better as well.

The Lockpick system supposedly works on the 08 (one person here installed it?) but the last I heard

the official word was the supplier has not qualified it.

/Steve

The Lockpick Overide works on the Nav system.

Of all the reasons to buy a Rx400h though, it is surprising that the nav system is the bottleneck for your decision. There is no comparison between the high tech Hybrid system of the Lexus and an Acura. I considered the MDX before my purchase but am very happy with my decision.

Steve, thanks, your opinion as an owner of Acura and RX is very valuable.

I see your zip is 94010. Burlingame right? For Bay Area dealers I can recommend Mangnassen in Fremont

off Auto Mall rd. They are very low key. The only other I have experience with is Stevens Creek Lexus in

San Jose. I did not have a very good experience there. Not bad mind you but I felt like I was simply unimportant.

Check the Costco buying program for a starting point. It will direct you to Stevens Creek's fleet manager.

(I found him friendly on the phone but arrogant in person. Go figure). That will give you a starting point.

I am in Newark. Magnussens is just down the street.

One thing I would recommend is a test drive in a hilly area. Lexus of Serramonte is nearby. A hilly area.

One test drive up a steep hill should convince you of the amazing torque the hybrid system delivers.

I make wine with a friend in Aptos and am constantly driving over highway 17 to Santa Cruz. The RX400h

is a pleasure driving over mountain passes. I still remember the last time over there when I fueled up.

Filled up in Aptos, drove up highway 1 for ten miles averaging 28 MPG. Got to the summit of 17 with

20 MPG and back down to Los Gatos with the average back up to 27+. It nearly flattened out the hill

mileage wise.

/Steve

OK my 2 cents into the subject- the Mileage, finish and for me look and design of Lexus is better-it's a different story when it comes to electronic and electric systems (and again I'm not talking about hybrid system). Bunch of annoying things like not so great GPS system (and from seeing it in Acura that has awesome one), lack of lots of features like Cruising range, average speed et. and stupid design allowing your car to drawn battery dead when interior lights are left on. But you're the one making decision and agreeing with the compromise-think and analyze what's more important-annoying Lock on GPS or mileage and so on. There is no car that is perfect but Lexus for sure gives you reliability-I don't know anything about that with Acura. Again it's good that you're open for suggestion and you have wide array of choices.

I was going to lease the car, so i don't really care about the resale value. Still, no word on lockpicks and overdrives. Come on people, help me out.

Ok, so you need someone to be your enabler :P

http://coastaletech.com/LOCKPICK_MAIN.htm

I've heard the '08 lockpick IS available, AND, their web site corroborates that fact.

Unfortunately the Lockpick 3 DOES NOT work if you have the CD/DVD changer (IE Mark Levinson). I am hoping that Coastaltech will come up with a version for the levinson equipped vehicles.

• 4 months later...