60k Maintenance Need Advice

heather208

Change the engine oil and filter

have a drain and fill of the transmission fluid (not a flush please) If not done a lexus or toyota make sure it is Toyota Type IV fluid, no substitutions (this is very, very important)

change the transfer case lubricant (AWD all wheel drive)

Change the rear differential fluid if AWD

inspect brakes

replace air filter (if necessary)

replace PCV valve

This is for a RX300, but might be similiar. In your maintenance booklet they list all required service.

It is the same on the RX330. The transfer case and rear differential take GL5 80w90 gear oil (1 quart each). I use Valvoline durablend but any GL5 rated will do fine. The transmission has no filter to replace but at 60k should be drained and refilled at least once. You MUST use Toyota T-IV fluid (cheaper if you buy it at a Toyota dealer) and you will need 4 quarts. You should also use a Lexus/Toyota oil filter as it is side mounted on the engine and has the correct anti-drain back valve and bypass pressure specs. Replace the engine air filter, PCV valve and cabin air filter which is behind the glove box.

I would recommend you then drain & re-fill the transmission every 25,000 miles after that. The Transfer case & rear differential should be changed every 50,000 miles. The engine air filter every 20,000 miles. PCV every 50,000. Engine oil & filter every 5,000. Cabin air filter every 30,000. Your timing belt MUST be changed at 90,000 miles and 180,000 miles. I recommend having them install a new water pump & thermostat & engine coolant at the timing belt change. It is also a good idea to have the throttle body removed and cleaned at this service.

When you replace brakes & rotors you can save some money if you use Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors (if you need them) and Raybestos AT Ceramic Brake pads. They are excellent and available at auto parts stores versus dealer prices. I use valvoline synpower brake fluid as it exceeds the Lexus spec.

If you want to save some money on tires shop tirerack.com as Kumho makes a tire that fits the RX330 and is $2-300 cheaper per set of 4 than the Michelins and rides just as well.

I recommend you make a list of what you need done and shop prices. Your RX330 can last you 200,000+ miles if you take good care of it. We have 140,000 miles on our 04 and it runs like new. Since the RX330 shares the same platform as the Toyota Highlander, Toyota dealers will usually give you better pricing on parts & labor than the Lexus dealers.

Note: Your spark plugs are good for 120,000 miles.

Hope this helps.

• 4 months later...

do you have some procedure (write up) to change the diffrential and transfer case fluids? I appreciate that very much

tp3366@yahoo.com

It is the same on the RX330. The transfer case and rear differential take GL5 80w90 gear oil (1 quart each). I use Valvoline durablend but any GL5 rated will do fine. The transmission has no filter to replace but at 60k should be drained and refilled at least once. You MUST use Toyota T-IV fluid (cheaper if you buy it at a Toyota dealer) and you will need 4 quarts. You should also use a Lexus/Toyota oil filter as it is side mounted on the engine and has the correct anti-drain back valve and bypass pressure specs. Replace the engine air filter, PCV valve and cabin air filter which is behind the glove box.

I would recommend you then drain & re-fill the transmission every 25,000 miles after that. The Transfer case & rear differential should be changed every 50,000 miles. The engine air filter every 20,000 miles. PCV every 50,000. Engine oil & filter every 5,000. Cabin air filter every 30,000. Your timing belt MUST be changed at 90,000 miles and 180,000 miles. I recommend having them install a new water pump & thermostat & engine coolant at the timing belt change. It is also a good idea to have the throttle body removed and cleaned at this service.

When you replace brakes & rotors you can save some money if you use Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors (if you need them) and Raybestos AT Ceramic Brake pads. They are excellent and available at auto parts stores versus dealer prices. I use valvoline synpower brake fluid as it exceeds the Lexus spec.

If you want to save some money on tires shop tirerack.com as Kumho makes a tire that fits the RX330 and is $2-300 cheaper per set of 4 than the Michelins and rides just as well.

I recommend you make a list of what you need done and shop prices. Your RX330 can last you 200,000+ miles if you take good care of it. We have 140,000 miles on our 04 and it runs like new. Since the RX330 shares the same platform as the Toyota Highlander, Toyota dealers will usually give you better pricing on parts & labor than the Lexus dealers.

Note: Your spark plugs are good for 120,000 miles.

Hope this helps.