Leak

paulwall86

hey i noticed a leak today its in the front of the car if you look down you can see the catalyic converter on the drivers side i see my antifreeze coolant slowly draining and in high speeds my engine smokes a little. what is the problem?

A headgasket failure is extremely uncommon on this car, pretty much unheard of. There are 3 different drains for the antifreeze, and the location of one of them corresponds with where you are seeing the coolant leak. Have you checked to make sure they are all closed?

If you need to know where they are, lexls.com has instructions for flushing the coolant, and they tell you how to find them.

Maybe the water pump? Yes, it's in the middle of the underside, but that's the leak I had a while back. The drips on the garage floor gave it away. Maybe time to change the water pump and timing belt. Hope you can DIY. Cost me a bundle, but it now runs like a top. You didn't list the year of your LS, but if it's first gen, there's a good chance this is the problem. Best of luck.

• 4 weeks later...
A headgasket failure is extremely uncommon on this car, pretty much unheard of. There are 3 different drains for the antifreeze, and the location of one of them corresponds with where you are seeing the coolant leak. Have you checked to make sure they are all closed?

If you need to know where they are, lexls.com has instructions for flushing the coolant, and they tell you how to find them.

thomas-

after reading the tutorials on coolant drains...i am now wondering if this is what is draining on my car..instead of a water pump...how noisey is a water pump going out??..there seems to be very little noise with this leaking...