What Is The Difference Between The 91 And The 96 1uzfe Engine

Chris Baxter

Greetings all, I'm replacing the engine in my 91 LS-400 with a 96, their both 1UZFE motors. Everything looks pretty much the same except the emissions and the vacuum lines. The 96 did not come with the engine wiring harness so I will have to use the one from the 91, I was told it was compatible, Is this true? should I swap the throttle bodies and emissions from the 91 to the 96. Is there anything else that needs to swaped. Has anybody done this swap before? I will be doing the timing belt and water pump etc. on the 96 as it is a used motor. Thanks in advance, CB

iirc the 96's are OBDII, while the 91 is OBDI. This will cause many electrical issues, and please somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but an OBD1->2 swap is more trouble than it's worth unless you swap the harness, ecu, and possibly the transmission (OBD1 and 2 transmissions might be different, I don't remember for sure though).

in other words, unless you've already bought the engine I'd seek out a low mileage '94 and rebuild the sucker to performance specs.

Remember that the 1990-1994 engines were non-interference, and starting in 1995 they were interference.

Has anyone on this site or know anybody that has a 95 that broke a timing belt? Did

it damage the engine? Always wondered and have never saw any posts about this I mean real experiences? Also what exactly was done in 95 to change the engine? Thanks very much for replies.

Remember that the 1990-1994 engines were non-interference, and starting in 1995 they were interference.

Has anyone on this site or know anybody that has a 95 that broke a timing belt? Did

it damage the engine? Always wondered and have never saw any posts about this I mean real experiences? Also what exactly was done in 95 to change the engine? Thanks very much for replies.

There was a huge debate about this earlier, do a search and you will probably find the original thread.

In the end, based on several people's experiences, it was determined that the 95-and-up LS has what we call a "quasi-interference" engine. The way the valvetrain and pistons are designed in the updated engine, there is about a 50/50 change of damage when the belt breaks. That is not a chance I would be willing to take. I would only wait for the belt to break on an engine that I knew for sure would not be damaged in any way if that happened.