Help With Strange Intermittent Starting Issue!

I have a '99 ES300 with 78K miles that is having an intermittent starting problem. It may take several key turns to the start position for the starter to begin

turning the engine. Usually nothing happens, the dash lights remain on and one attempt at look at the on dome light didn't show it dimming. One time the starter

sounded like it was slowly turning, but that has not been the norm. Once started there are no other issues.

The symptoms seem to be: If setting idle in the garage for several days and possibly cold (45 deg) it may not start. It will continue to start all day while running

various errands. If idle for a day or two it starts. The battery was initially suspect so it was replaced, but that didn't help. The alternator is putting out 14.5V.

What are other suspect areas to look at or tests to try. Thanks!

Parasitic draw on the battery? (Perhaps the cable?) I had a problem with that. If my car sat for several days, it would not start. Although, I only tried starting it a couple times, as not to cause any potential damage. So, not sure if this could be it?

sounds like a battery issue, check the terminals on the battery and battery top for dirt and acid like crumbs on the top. Just for a tip since were talking batteries clean the top with baking soda and water, scrub top with a brush nix about 1/2 baking soda to 1 half or more gallons. Rinse of with a bucket of water.

but you should go to a battery store or a auto parts store and run an alternator, battery load, D-tac or vat-40 test to further figure out your issue. As far as I know there is not much else i can say

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Finally got around to fixing it. I replaced the starter solenoid contacts for around $10., The battery side was eroded very deep.

It sounds very much like mine-- How did you replace it ? --- By yourself?How long it took?, Was it difficult to replace it?, need special tool? any other comment for the replacing it ?

thanks in advance

bk

( or e-mail me if u want at bkyoung1@cox.net)

Yeap, me too.... Mine would take a couple of turns of the keys to get started in the morning. Seemed it only happened when it was warm to cold.

My shop checked it out and thier conclusion was to replace the starter. Said he checked the cabling and silenoids.

Starts right up now.