High Output Alternator Upgrading Help

jason455

Hello,

I have a 1990 LS400 with all factory options and think that I am in need of replacing the alternator soon. I could use some tips and assistance in determining whether it is a good idea to upgrade the charging system while I have the chance.

The main reason I am exploring this possibility is because I get flickering in all of the lights, but it is most pronounced at night, and especially at an idle with my foot on the brake pedal. It has been a minor annoyance for the past couple years, and I have went so far as to replace the battery, and then the positive battery terminal with a lexus replacement, whereas before it was a universal post adapter. Nothing I have tried has made any improvement, and the condition has worsened to the point that I wonder how much longer the alternator is going to last, if it is indeed the alternator causing this problem. So, if any of you LS400 owners out there who know your car inside-and-out have came across this issue before, or know someone who has, and can help me out, I would really appreciate your assistance. Thanks for your time,

--Michael

You should be able to get your alternator output checked for free. I dont see why an HO alternator would be and issue as long as its not over charging. Is everything factory in the car? If it is I dont see the benefit of a HO alternator. Hope this helps.

Hi, and thanks for the reply.

Yes, everything is pretty much stock, taking aside a few reman parts here and there, such as suspension, steering, and brake components. I took the car to my local Sears to have the system tested, and they said that everything was working properly, but I didn't think to ask what the output specifications were. I was wondering if I might have a bad ground somewhere causing this, and what to do to go about finding it.