Headlights Not Working

92ls forhundo

hello ya'll....my sister has basically been driving my ls400 for the last year or so, and despite her total derise to run it into the ground, the beautiful machine is still running soild....

except, the other day the headlights stopped working, the circuit is still up and running, as the cluster dims accordingly when i switch them on, i haventr check the high beams, and the fuses are healthy...

i did try to get top the circuit breakers but that was way to hard to get to so right now ive got negative terminal disconnected to see if that will somehow reset them...

they are silverstars that i installed in a pair, could they have gone out? that was about 3 years ago when i put them in....

if their is an electrical problem, what could it be outside of relay, or some other part failing?

also in the lexus owners manual, it does say if a major electrical part is not working, to check the big high current fuses for failure,in the engine bay, i did that and they look good, although the white "120 amp" looks funny but not broken, as well as different from the others....

i am going to try the high beams and the - term thing now .....to be continued...

hello ya'll....my sister has basically been driving my ls400 for the last year or so, and despite her total derise to run it into the ground, the beautiful machine is still running soild....

except, the other day the headlights stopped working, the circuit is still up and running, as the cluster dims accordingly when i switch them on, i haventr check the high beams, and the fuses are healthy...

i did try to get top the circuit breakers but that was way to hard to get to so right now ive got negative terminal disconnected to see if that will somehow reset them...

they are silverstars that i installed in a pair, could they have gone out? that was about 3 years ago when i put them in....

if their is an electrical problem, what could it be outside of relay, or some other part failing?

also in the lexus owners manual, it does say if a major electrical part is not working, to check the big high current fuses for failure,in the engine bay, i did that and they look good, although the white "120 amp" looks funny but not broken, as well as different from the others....

i am going to try the high beams and the - term thing now .....to be continued...

okay high beams and removing - terminal did not help....i hear a relay switching when i turn high beams on...hmmmmm.

If the wiring is fine....fuses, switches, relays, EVERYTHING is fine......

did you ever try changing the bulb??????????? :huh:

thats next, my sis is using the car right now...just not driving at night obviously...i hope in a way thats it, they are silverstars put in at the same time, it would be really odd and strange that both would die simultaneously....in the world of tubes and valves and whatnot that would just be cosmically rare, like winning the lotto...

the reason i ask is that by now, all common issues with these cars are well known...it may be a relay, like i said the cluster/dash still dims when the switch is on...

I would suggest to you that they probably did not go out at the same time. She probably just didn't notice until they were both burned out.

I also use Silverstars and have never gotten more than a year out of them.

My money is on burned out bulbs.

Tom

I have used silverstars in my current 97 LS, old 91 LS, and 89 Corolla GT-S. Had them in the old cars for over a year with no problems at all.

But for a rule of thumb, always check the cheapest and easiest route first. Changing a light bulb is much easier then pulling out the meters and testing and changing fuses and relays. Plus it's a Lexus. It doesn't have VW wiring ;) lol :lol:

:cheers:

A little over a year ago I pulled into the driveway, got out, looked at my headlights and watched one burn out. I turned the car off, went inside for a minute, came back outside, started the car, and literally watched the other one go out! I couldn't believe it! They weren't Silverstars, but they were aftermarket. Changed the bulbs and everything was fine. It happens!

A little over a year ago I pulled into the driveway, got out, looked at my headlights and watched one burn out. I turned the car off, went inside for a minute, came back outside, started the car, and literally watched the other one go out! I couldn't believe it! They weren't Silverstars, but they were aftermarket. Changed the bulbs and everything was fine. It happens!

considering their brightness, and that they are incandescent, they must draw a lot of current, so that may be the case, but they did last like almost 3 years or so, 40 more dollars...isnt there also a new and improved silverstars now anyway? great excuse to try them out....thanks again guys.