My 98 Es300 Just Died...where Can I Get A Used Engine?

R.A.

Hi all,

My mechanic just told me today that I need a new motor for my 98 ES300, which had only 152 k on it. I was surprised when noises started coming from the engine, so I tried to drive it to him, but it just died on the road, and so I had to call AAA to tow it. Long story short, I think the previous owner didn't take care of the car. I've had it for almost 9 months now, and didnt give me any problems.

Anyway, does anyone know a good place to buy used motors? I'm not planning to pay more than $600-700 on it. I read somewhere that this engine (1mzfe) is the same for a few models, including Camry, but which Camry? are there any differences between them? or when they say the same engine they mean they're exactly the same??

I appreciate any help...Thanks.

Hi all,

My mechanic just told me today that I need a new motor for my 98 ES300, which had only 152 k on it. I was surprised when noises started coming from the engine, so I tried to drive it to him, but it just died on the road, and so I had to call AAA to tow it. Long story short, I think the previous owner didn't take care of the car. I've had it for almost 9 months now, and didnt give me any problems.

Anyway, does anyone know a good place to buy used motors? I'm not planning to pay more than $600-700 on it. I read somewhere that this engine (1mzfe) is the same for a few models, including Camry, but which Camry? are there any differences between them? or when they say the same engine they mean they're exactly the same??

I appreciate any help...Thanks.

Well, first look at the engine that you are buying, it will have a raised marking on it that says 1mzfe and if its from a camry just make sure its the same engine as your original, which is a V6, I believe some camrys are 4 cylinders. It will cost you more than $ 600-$ 700 because of the labor in installation. I really feel for you because its a 98 and already you need a new engine. It looks like someone skipped out on all the oil changes or something. I suspect the timing belt broke while it was being driven and the engine seized. Youre probably looking at $ 2500 for the engine removal, engine and engine installation. Maybe you should just buy another es300.

Try www.car-part.com . I got an engine for my 94 from a yard only a few miles from the house, just under 700 bucks out the door. The engine was out of a 97 model, and it was definitely not a direct drop in. I had to change everything on the top of the engine (fuel rails, upper intake, etc) to go with the old wiring and setup. I originally was going to get an engine out of an avalon, but they said that although it says its interchangeable, that in the notes it says that there is not a hole tapped in the block for some sensor. So be careful with what you get.

• 1 month later...
Try www.car-part.com . I got an engine for my 94 from a yard only a few miles from the house, just under 700 bucks out the door. The engine was out of a 97 model, and it was definitely not a direct drop in. I had to change everything on the top of the engine (fuel rails, upper intake, etc) to go with the old wiring and setup. I originally was going to get an engine out of an avalon, but they said that although it says its interchangeable, that in the notes it says that there is not a hole tapped in the block for some sensor. So be careful with what you get.

If you've not yet found an engine, consider buying one from Japan. I bought a 7MGE for my Cressida and had it shipped for less than I could buy one at a salvage yard. It was guaranteed under 45K and runs like a dream. I've put well over 150K on it since I bought it (nagano motors). Unfortunately, Nagano doesn't do Lexus motors but there are many others. One example is www.usedjapanmotors.com, but you can just google Lexus Motors from Japan and do some research.