Power Steering Issue

hi all,

i was dumb enough to drive out in snow in ohio last night and ran over some 20 inches of snow; had to get towed out of pile of snow (the guys hooked something near the right front wheel; they looked like they know what to do). after i was back on the road, the steering was STIFF, as in i have to steer with everything i got to barely turn the wheels (but it does turn). it feels like i'm steering without power steering; moreover, the steering wheel isn't adjustable anymore (the knob on the left won't move). i never had a steering problem so before i get to a mechanic who may charge me whatever he will charge me, if anyone has a good idea what problem it is, please let me know. thank you.

thuy

2002 lexus es300 owner!

hi all,

i was dumb enough to drive out in snow in ohio last night and ran over some 20 inches of snow; had to get towed out of pile of snow (the guys hooked something near the right front wheel; they looked like they know what to do). after i was back on the road, the steering was STIFF, as in i have to steer with everything i got to barely turn the wheels (but it does turn). it feels like i'm steering without power steering; moreover, the steering wheel isn't adjustable anymore (the knob on the left won't move). i never had a steering problem so before i get to a mechanic who may charge me whatever he will charge me, if anyone has a good idea what problem it is, please let me know. thank you.

thuy

2002 lexus es300 owner!

It could be a number of things. At best, a power steering hose got disconnected. At worst, something in your front suspension is throughly buggered up. Without a diagnosis of the problem I really don't know what to tell you. Have a few different shops look at it and see who'll offer you the best price. Post the description of the problem here and we'll see what we can do.

Make sure there's still fluid in the power steering reservoir. Any weird noises?

Peace,

Pete Zaria.

no there's no noise; is there a guide to check steering fluid?

i forgot to mention that the engine sign has turned on; i should also add that i even drove it on highway (good half an hour) after getting towed back on it, and it ran fine except that the steering wheel was unbelievably stiff.

i was lucky i didn't have to make any sharp turns.

Buddy it sounds like your steering pump stoped functioning. Perhaps it went out, I drove my Moms toyota through deep snow and then I hit the dry pavement and it ruined the steering. Sometimes these go out in situations that really dont have any impact on the part. Sometimes these things just break. Thats all I can say

i finally got it fixed by a mechanic; the power steering belt was torn and disappeared, probably from trying to steer out of snow while tires were stuck. i can't believe i couldn't notice the belt missing! mechanic suggested replacing the belt in front of the steering belt (don't know the name) also, and in all cost me only $130.