Temp Gauge

I have a 1994 ES300. Need help, I took out the dash cluster and replace all the back light bulbs, I also put some reflective tape on all the needles since they were all burnt out. When I put them back in the car everything worked except the temp gauge and it goes all the way to the top (hot) after the car warms up. When the engine is turned off it goes all the way down (cold). Could the small piece of tape on the needle cause this. Thanks

Terry,

I'm assuming that you pulled the complete instrument panel from the car. It doesn't make sense for the tape that you added to suddenly make the gauge read erratically as you describe. What does make sense is that when you pulled the instrument assembly, you didn't seat the wiring harness plug that includes the temp gauge properly when you put it back together. Either that or there is some corrosion on its pin connector. I'd pull the cluster and reinsert the harness connectors again. If you didn't pull the cluster, then it could be coincidence that your temp sensor has gone south, or its connector is corroded. Rereading your post a second time gives me one other thought. Did you pull the temp gauge needle from the gauge to put on the tape? If you did, then you've installed the needle in the wrong spot on the shaft. Pull it off again, let the car warm up to its normal running temperature, and install the needle where you would have seen it sit normally and you should be good to go. Good Luck!