Premium Or Mid Grade

LC6529

With gas zooming past 3.50 a gallon for premium in my area, I was wondering if anyone had been running mid-grade in their lexus?

I've been running Amaco Ultimate in my 2002 (27K Miles) for 2 years and am thinking about trying Amaco Silver with gas getting so expensive.

Perhaps running Amaco Silver and a bottle of Octane boost?

Just curious how that would work.

Well I have a 2003 that has 160,000 on it and it only runs on regular 87 octance. Don't waste your money on high test and heaven forbid octance booster...... there is actually more energy in regular gas than high octance,, but the flash point is higher with the high octance which reduces valve rattle and pre-ignition.... if your engine rattles on up hill pulls, then increase the octance rating,, if it doesn't then enjoy the cost saving....

PREMIUM PREMIUM PREMIUM!!!

Then again, my dealership sent out an APB saying all new cars, loaners, and PDI checks get mid-grade only. I stick with premium. I mean if it comes to 10 gallons of fuel, that extra 10 cents per gallon only mean an extra dollar.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't use anything less than Premium, for any reason.

With gas zooming past 3.50 a gallon for premium in my area, I was wondering if anyone had been running mid-grade in their lexus?

I've been running Amaco Ultimate in my 2002 (27K Miles) for 2 years and am thinking about trying Amaco Silver with gas getting so expensive.

Perhaps running Amaco Silver and a bottle of Octane boost?

Just curious how that would work.

• 3 weeks later...
Well I have a 2003 that has 160,000 on it and it only runs on regular 87 octance. Don't waste your money on high test and heaven forbid octance booster...... there is actually more energy in regular gas than high octance,, but the flash point is higher with the high octance which reduces valve rattle and pre-ignition.... if your engine rattles on up hill pulls, then increase the octance rating,, if it doesn't then enjoy the cost saving....

• 5 months later...
I'd opt for Premium as well. Remember we chose what we want to drive and we chose to drive LUXURY. :)

Ok it's nice to say what you use, but has anyone tested out both types of gas. On my ls400 and my honda cbr 929rr motorcycle, I've been getting an extra 3mpg with premium. It is cost saving, even on my 40mpg motorcycle.

I've heard that newer cars have knock sensors that won't allow low grade fuel to cause problems.