Diy Gauge Needle Fix - Problem

Niko

I have done the DIY needle fix on my 95 ES300. Problem is, when the car is off the needles don't go to Zero on the tach and speedo. They go up to about 3k on the tach and 50mph on the speedo. Anyone know why?

There area a few reasons you may be having this problem so lets start at step one

Check to see if needles are pushed in too far, if they are they will bind when they begin to move and wont go through their full rotation. This can be accomplished without taking the cluster out. See if they return to zero.

If they dont then there may be a problem with the guage itself.

Next take both needles off from the tach and spedo and with a paper clip straightened out, see how needles balance while holding paperclip horizontal. Rotate around a couple of times slowly by hand to see how needles behaves cause it may be too top heavy. I found when I did mine to get resistors as close to center for good balance.

If the tip after every rotation ends up pointing toward the ground the needle is top heavy. Reposition resistor(s) (make sure you are using 1/4 watt resistors which are very small anything else may be too heavy for the needle to move.

The center of the needle is where is the white plastic connector is that rests on the pin. The center is counter balanced with a brass weight on the opposite end of the tip. Make sure the brass weights are in place on the needle.

Putting the resistors too close to the tip results in the more weight for the motor to attempt to lift causing the needles to read incorrectly.

After checking this and reinstalling them back on the cluster start engine and check for normal operation. If they still do not return to zero after turning vehicle off. I hesitate to say that there is a problem with each respective motor contained within the cluster, so further checking may be necessary to determine the actual defective item, which is unlikely as I am under the assumption they worked prior to your mod, so it is more likely the needles are the problem than the cluster motors.

Be aware the TEMP and Fuel guage do not return to zero when key is turned off Just so you know....