Replacement Rims For My 98 Ls400

Mera

I am looking at my options for new rims for my 98 LS400. When I bought my 98 LS400 maybe 4 years ago the factory rims were somewhat degraded. I happened to look on ebay and found some factory rims that were chrome plated. So I bought them. Little did I know that running these in the north with road salt that these would pit quickly. Bummer. So I am looking at my options. I really like the look of the factory rims on my 98. I have looked at other year 400's and 430's and still think my factory rims are the best looking rims for the 400's. Having the factory rims chromed makes my 98 LS400 look absolutely stunning. So I wonder what to do next. I see they now make new reproduction rims. Go on ebay and you will find them. They are the clear coated spun aluminum like OEM. They say the finish will match the factory center caps. Price is nice. Around $375 for 4 plus $65 shipping. But I would still want all new center caps. I have not searched to see what new OEM Lexus center caps cost. Anyone know?

Another option is to send my original rims out and have them chromed. I do have a truck that I drive most of the time. Knowing that the salt ruins these chromed rims I would just not drive it when there is slushy snow on the roads.

Other options are to send my original rims out to have them refinished. Anyone ever done that? Where?

I found one place that does a powder coat type finish that looks close to chrome. Around $200+ per rim and center cap. Expensive and to me powder coat will not hold up also. It will crack just a little and them moisture gets in and the powder coat starts to lift and flake off.

Anyone have any advice??

I tend to not want to do the chrome again because if my girlfriend happens to need to use my Lexus on a snowy day then I am in the same boat with pitting. Plus when I sell this car in a few years the new owner will not want to have it as a nice weather car only. But the chrome looks so good!

Rodney Dickman

1998 LS 400

post-65558-1204033562_thumb.jpg

My other concern is the clear coat on the rims. My original rims were degraded because of the previous owners going thru car washers. The brushes scratched the clear coat over time. I tend to think the factory clear coat is the best and any aftermarket finish will not be as good. I do want to take my Lexus thru car washes. So I wonder that if I buy these new reproduction rims will they hold up to car washes.

Rodney Dickman

1998 LS 400

Are there no wheel shops in Milwaukee that can have your wheels rechromed? There are several in the Kansas City metro area. My next door neighbor had his LS wheels rechromed and they came out looking great. If there is nothing in your local area, look up Phenix wheel on the Internet.

I recently bought a new set of chrome center caps from Sewell Lexus (lexus-parts.com) for less than $100. They are the small caps that fit the 2000 Platinum LS400 and the 2001-2002 LS430.

Are there no wheel shops in Milwaukee that can have your wheels rechromed? There are several in the Kansas City metro area. My next door neighbor had his LS wheels rechromed and they came out looking great. If there is nothing in your local area, look up Phenix wheel on the Internet.

I recently bought a new set of chrome center caps from Sewell Lexus (lexus-parts.com) for less than $100. They are the small caps that fit the 2000 Platinum LS400 and the 2001-2002 LS430.

Chromed aluminum rims do not hold up to the salt in WI.

Chromed aluminum rims do not hold up to the salt in WI.

Chrome rims don't do well in Kansas winters either with all the salt used on the roads here. That's why I use my chrome rims only spring, summer and fall and have a set of painted wheels and Blizzak snow tires for winter use.

I bought the reproduction aluminum rims off ebay. I'll buy 4 new OEM center caps plus 4 new tires. That way I can put them on and drive it anytime I like and sell it with newer factory rims. I'm too old to change rims winter/summer. :) I did that for many many year on other daily drivers I owned thru the years.

Rodney

• 5 months later...
I bought the reproduction aluminum rims off ebay. I'll buy 4 new OEM center caps plus 4 new tires. That way I can put them on and drive it anytime I like and sell it with newer factory rims. I'm too old to change rims winter/summer. :) I did that for many many year on other daily drivers I owned thru the years.

Rodney

Are you happy with your reproduction rims? How is the quality and did the rims balance out well?

I have a 1999 LS 400 and am looking at doing the same thing you did. I love the look of the factory wheels (especially the machined finish), plus I have brand new tires and don't want to upgrade rim size (and of course have to buy new tires as well). I am probably looking at the same place you are on Ebay (around $450 w/shipping).

Also, the company that has the reproduction rims claims they also sell the center caps, but that they don't include the lexus logo. I would like to keep the stock look and retain the logo. Were you able to find factory caps, if so.. may I ask where?

Thanks for any advice/input you have!