Quick Question On Climate Control Backlight Bulbs

Niko

I know this has been talked about but I have found several different answers. All my backlights are out on my climate control unit. I've heard they are soldered in. Anyone know for sure how many bulbs there are and what they cost from Lexus? Also, if they are available from anywhere besides Lexus, maybe Radio Shack? One more question...Can the color be changed?. I've searched threads and a lot of people have different answers.

I know this has been talked about but I have found several different answers. All my backlights are out on my climate control unit. I've heard they are soldered in. Anyone know for sure how many bulbs there are and what they cost from Lexus? Also, if they are available from anywhere besides Lexus, maybe Radio Shack? One more question...Can the color be changed?. I've searched threads and a lot of people have different answers.

What year is your ES? I have a '95 and I had to replace three bulbs for my climate control. They were not soldered on, and came from the Lexus dealership. I remember searching the forums on how to take the unit apart and putting them in yourself, and it took me less than an hour. The bulbs ran around $10 apiece, if my memory serves me correctly.

Thats awsome to hear. Mine is also a 95. People were saying they were soldered in. So they screw in?

I may be mistaken, but I think the bulbs that are soldered in are for the LCD display. If I'm correct, the other bulbs that light up the buttons are in sockets and can be replaced more easily. The color comes from a little rubber boot that goes over the bulbs. There is some place I heard of that makes these boots in different colors. If I can hunt down the name, I'll edit this post to include it. Hope this helps.

Edit 02/26/08: This is the place to get little colored boots for the backlighting bulbs. They call them "Lamp Filters In Colors".

http://www.sunraylighting.com/