Steering Issue

dudemanjch

Hi all,

I have a '94 LS400 with 178,000 miles. I recently had the fan bracket replaced. About two weeks after, I noticed some funny sounds when making a tight turn at low speeds (like into a parking space or out of a driveway). I hear a grinding / groaning type sound when turning. It happens probably 85% of the time and seems to be more prominent on colder days.

I don't know a whole lot about cars so I can try to provide any more information if someone might know what is going on! I'm afraid my car is just really old...

What do you mean by "tight turn".

Is the wheel turned ALL the way?? Pretty much all cars will make a "KSHHHH" kinda noise when the wheel is turned to the full extent left or right.

No it doesn't have to be turned all the way, probably at about 75% or it will make the noise. And it is not the normal sound you hear, it sounds more violent. Like pieces are grating together that shouldn't be.

You need to check your PS fluid quantity in cold and hot settings. If the fluid is good, then you need to bleed the air out of the system, if that results good, then you need to also check or replace your engine acessory betl, the one that runs the pump and electrica gen etc. If none of these are then you need to rebuild/replace your PS PUMP. I understand that to bleed the air out all you need to do is loose the cap and start the car and move the wheels from side to side people say as much as 50 times but it should not take that long. Then the cap needs to be closed before you go drive. But it is very likely you need a new pump. When you replace the fluid put mobil 1 synthetic is the best. Need to check your rack is probably bad too, so it will be a good time to have it rebuild replaced if you want to keep the car if not just deal with the PS for now.

CPR