1995 Ls400 Brake Lights Always On

mootpoint

All,

I have a recently purchased 1995 LS400, after a teenager crunched my cherry of a '92 while I was pulling out of my driveway. :-(

A couple of weeks after I bought it, the brake lights stopped turning off. If I put something under the brake pedal to push it up a bit, they go out. Needless to say, I've killed the battery a couple of times by forgetting to put the magic plastic cup under the brake pedal.

I checked brake fluid and added some, but the behavior continues. Any suggestions on this one? Is there a return spring in there somewhere that's getting weak, that a handy but car illiterate guy could get at and replace? Or is this a "pay the guy who has a clue" sort of problem?

Also getting cold air blowing out the heater when at idle. Keeping the engine at about 1500 RPM keeps it warm. I'm in the Chicago area, and it's been remarkably cold the last month or so. Coolant level looks fine. Any ideas on that one?

I still want my cherry of a 1992 back, but hey, so it goes.

m00tpoint

All,

I have a recently purchased 1995 LS400, after a teenager crunched my cherry of a '92 while I was pulling out of my driveway. :-(

A couple of weeks after I bought it, the brake lights stopped turning off. If I put something under the brake pedal to push it up a bit, they go out. Needless to say, I've killed the battery a couple of times by forgetting to put the magic plastic cup under the brake pedal.

I checked brake fluid and added some, but the behavior continues. Any suggestions on this one? Is there a return spring in there somewhere that's getting weak, that a handy but car illiterate guy could get at and replace? Or is this a "pay the guy who has a clue" sort of problem?

Also getting cold air blowing out the heater when at idle. Keeping the engine at about 1500 RPM keeps it warm. I'm in the Chicago area, and it's been remarkably cold the last month or so. Coolant level looks fine. Any ideas on that one?

I still want my cherry of a 1992 back, but hey, so it goes.

m00tpoint

There is a microswitch (adjustable) that closes with forward motion of the brake pedal arm. Under the dash.

You either have low coolant or a "vapor lock", air bubble, in the water heater hose, going or coming.