Trans

Toyofreak

I have just done my first drain and refill on the 96 sc it was pretty easy but I have some questions. How much fluid is there is just a drain and fill? I checked it in park when cold and then I drove it for about 3-4 miles checked it and it read full on the hot level. Then my wife took it out for a couple of hours and then I checked it again and it was over full by about 1/2 inch over. I had only put about 1 3/4 quarts back into the trans. I do not know what I did wrong if any thing, so if any one has the proper way to check the level or tell me about how much is in a drain and fill I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Kevin

I always do this procedure (though I have yet to see anyone bring an SC in the shop for a tranny service) I will drain the fluid into a container, and put the same amount back in. Of course I check the fluid after warming up and after shifting through all gear ranges, but it is always dead on.

EDIT: Also, I have been doing these things on ES vehicles, and after draining the pan and differential, almost one gallon comes out. And the more I think about it, the reason I don't see alot of older SC's is because I guess when a car gets old enough, people go to cheaper places to get their vehicle serviced.

I always do this procedure (though I have yet to see anyone bring an SC in the shop for a tranny service) I will drain the fluid into a container, and put the same amount back in. Of course I check the fluid after warming up and after shifting through all gear ranges, but it is always dead on.

EDIT: Also, I have been doing these things on ES vehicles, and after draining the pan and differential, almost one gallon comes out. And the more I think about it, the reason I don't see alot of older SC's is because I guess when a car gets old enough, people go to cheaper places to get their vehicle serviced.

Thanks, for the help

Oh, and so to not to confuse.... don't drain your differentail!!! I was talking about FWD trannys where the differential is in the same housing AND uses the same fluid AND shares that fluid with the tranny!

You probably know this, but I would feel like crap if you came back with a locked up diff!

Wrong....

The rear differential does not share the same fluid as the tranny...They are independant from one another on the SC400's...

Measure your tranny fluid with the stick when the car is running and warmed up...That will give you most accurate read... You don't want to over fill or you could blow a seal and find a red puddle in your driveway..... 1/2 an inch over full should be ok, that is what my stick reads on my SC400.....

On the front wheel drive ES Lexus model's the tranny and differential may share the same fluids, but not on the rear drive Lexus's... Atleast I have never seen one like that....

Wrong....

The rear differential does not share the same fluid as the tranny...They are independant from one another on the SC400's...

Measure your tranny fluid with the stick when the car is running and warmed up...That will give you most accurate read... You don't want to over fill or you could blow a seal and find a red puddle in your driveway..... 1/2 an inch over full should be ok, that is what my stick reads on my SC400.....

On the front wheel drive ES Lexus model's the tranny and differential may share the same fluids, but not on the rear drive Lexus's... Atleast I have never seen one like that....

Thanks, Jibby I took alittle bit out last night and checked it again when I got home now it in the middle of the hot level, that is why I like to work on my own because I am really picky about everything and I thing that I can do a cleaner job than the Toyota dealership here can.

Thanks,