Lincoln Aviator

LexKid630

My neighbor "immediate neighbor, not twice removed/relocated by tornado/etc.." has a 04 Expedition that has been in the shop countless times for a leaking front axle "burrs chew up the seals". He's filed a suit against Ford for it, and might actually win. But, what does he want? ANOTHER Expedition, just one that doesn't leak. Now, that says something...
I don't blame him, I've driven my aunt's '03 Expedition a number of times, and it a wonderful truck (it's still nice and tight with 75k on it). It really drives well (they aren't plauged with numb steering like GM's big suvs/trucks), and I love that body style.
There are only cosmetic differences, the Aviator IS an Explorer. Its not like the Highlander and the RX.
I'm not sure I agree with that. The Aviator is quite different from the Explorer. The Aviator has a different V8 engine (DOHC compared to SOHC), a far more luxurious interior both in look and feel, classier exterior (although somewhat familiar to the Explorer), has features that weren't available on the Explorer(like xenon lights and nav), and it was built at a different assembly plant.

I think were I in the market I would go for one of the OLDER Explorers made before they BALLOONED out the fenders, doors and body panels to make it look bigger than the Ranger PU wheelbase warrants.

How old are you talking? In 02 they made a lot of really nice upgrades to the Explorer which included an independent rear suspension that make it much nicer to drive on the road. I think the 02-05 Explorer is pretty bland but I really like the changes they made to the 06+. If Carla would trade the Prius in on a new Explorer Eddie Bauer I'd do it in a heartbeat. I had a 97 Limited and the 95-01 truck is still that, a truck and it lacks refinement and safety when compared to the newer ones.

So do you think if i went out and purchased an 04 Aviator, i would have the same or fewer pains in the @SS problems and costly repairs i would if i bought an 04 Highlander?

Oh no, the HIghlander will be more reliable and hold up better over time.

I'm not sure I agree with that. The Aviator is quite different from the Explorer. The Aviator has a different V8 engine (DOHC compared to SOHC), a far more luxurious interior both in look and feel, classier exterior (although somewhat familiar to the Explorer), has features that weren't available on the Explorer(like xenon lights and nav), and it was built at a different assembly plant.

Oh its a much nicer vehicle, but the basic vehicle and many of the body panels are exactly the same. I'd say its 60-65% the same vehicle, where the RX is probably only 40% Highlander.

I think were I in the market I would go for one of the OLDER Explorers made before they BALLOONED out the fenders, doors and body panels to make it look bigger than the Ranger PU wheelbase warrants.

How old are you talking? In 02 they made a lot of really nice upgrades to the Explorer which included an independent rear suspension that make it much nicer to drive on the road. I think the 02-05 Explorer is pretty bland but I really like the changes they made to the 06+. If Carla would trade the Prius in on a new Explorer Eddie Bauer I'd do it in a heartbeat. I had a 97 Limited and the 95-01 truck is still that, a truck and it lacks refinement and safety when compared to the newer ones.

So do you think if i went out and purchased an 04 Aviator, i would have the same or fewer pains in the @SS problems and costly repairs i would if i bought an 04 Highlander?

Oh no, the HIghlander will be more reliable and hold up better over time.

Oh its a much nicer vehicle, but the basic vehicle and many of the body panels are exactly the same. I'd say its 60-65% the same vehicle, where the RX is probably only 40% Highlander.

Thanks SW, that makes sense to me. <_<