Just Got Front Ended!

pishta

Oh man! My wife was in a parking lot picking up the kid and a new Siverado P/U backed up right into her. Lady was in R and thought she was in P, bent over to do something and the truck backed right into me newly repaired 92. Never hit the brakes until she hit my car! Wife was laying on the horn but couldnt back up because there was someone behind her. Lady heard the horn but didnt "put it together" that she may be moving...dumb...anyway. Buckled the hood and pushed the driver light assy in a little and scraped the top of the bumper. There should be a law on bumper heights....Check out the damage...HPIM1181.jpg

HPIM1180.jpg

HPIM1179.jpg

What do you think, new hood (or straightened) fixed light support and maybe a painted bumper cover? I dont know what insurance fixes or replaces now days but a new painted hood is going to look a little different than a 14 year old paint job, eh?

Oh man! My wife was in a parking lot picking up the kid and a new Siverado P/U backed up right into her. Lady was in R and thought she was in P, bent over to do something and the truck backed right into me newly repaired 92. Never hit the brakes until she hit my car! Wife was laying on the horn but couldnt back up because there was someone behind her. Lady heard the horn but didnt "put it together" that she may be moving...dumb...anyway. Buckled the hood and pushed the driver light assy in a little and scraped the top of the bumper. There should be a law on bumper heights....Check out the damage...HPIM1181.jpg

HPIM1180.jpg

HPIM1179.jpg

What do you think, new hood (or straightened) fixed light support and maybe a painted bumper cover? I dont know what insurance fixes or replaces now days but a new painted hood is going to look a little different than a 14 year old paint job, eh?

that sucks man! Well your right about the paint! the new hood will be a little different! me. I would just get new hood.

One of the reasons that the "Lady heard the horn but didnt "put it together"" may have been that the horns on the early LS400 were unusually weak and hard to hear.

Although the weak horn issue apparently did not lead to a TSIB, I was told by a Lexus dealer employee that Lexus had replaced the horns on a large number of early LS400 cars with louder horns at no charge if the complaint was made while the car was covered by the basic warranty.

I replaced the horns on my 1990 LS400 shortly after being forced onto the shoulder by a bus changing into my lane while I laid into the horn. I think the replacement horn was the design used on the LS400 beginning in 1993. By then, my basic warranty had expired so I had to pay for the replacement horns - they were not very expensive and I think the dealer sold them to me at cost due to the problem.

The replacements were noticably louder but nothing like the volume put out by the horns on any of the many European cars I have owned.

It might be worth going to a car dealership and doing some "test honking" on later model Lexus LS cars to compare the volume to the volume of the horns on your 92 LS.

If anybody needs some original 1990 wimpy LS horns, I'm pretty sure I still have them in a box in the garage.

One of the reasons that the "Lady heard the horn but didnt "put it together"" may have been that the horns on the early LS400 were unusually weak and hard to hear.

Although the weak horn issue apparently did not lead to a TSIB, I was told by a Lexus dealer employee that Lexus had replaced the horns on a large number of early LS400 cars with louder horns at no charge if the complaint was made while the car was covered by the basic warranty.

I replaced the horns on my 1990 LS400 shortly after being forced onto the shoulder by a bus changing into my lane while I laid into the horn. I think the replacement horn was the design used on the LS400 beginning in 1993. By then, my basic warranty had expired so I had to pay for the replacement horns - they were not very expensive and I think the dealer sold them to me at cost due to the problem.

The replacements were noticably louder but nothing like the volume put out by the horns on any of the many European cars I have owned.

It might be worth going to a car dealership and doing some "test honking" on later model Lexus LS cars to compare the volume to the volume of the horns on your 92 LS.

If anybody needs some original 1990 wimpy LS horns, I'm pretty sure I still have them in a box in the garage.

I dont think the wimpy horn had anything to do with this air head driver, this was in a church parking lot! not alot of ambient sound around this orderly procession of cars. The lady was driving a company truck, insured (cha ching!) and is going to write us a check for the damages under the insurance radar. Had an ex insurance adjuster friend glance at it and quickly said 1500...jeez. Ill take the money and get a Lexus dismantler hood and bend out the light support myself. bumper didnt get hit, just the top was "wiped" with the plastic bumper trim. I have not tried to open the hood yet, Ill let the body shop estimator do that. Is there anyhting that close to the grill that may be damaged? I JUST replaced my pass fender with a dismantler piece and it matched perfectly, I kinda want to do the same with the hood as the factory paint is so nice on these cars. I have seen body shop sprayed paint that looks like wallpaper. I would like to get the bumper skin replaces as it is slightly marred here and the pass corner from the last owners collision with a wall. Oh well, at least she fessed up to it and not hassling us about the claim.

Oh well, at least she fessed up to it and not hassling us about the claim.

Yikes, first 2 quotes...1900 and 3600. High one is a new hood at $600, new light pod @ $440 and a $440 recon bumper skin plus alot of paint, low one is fixing hood and buffing bumper skin and aligning headlight, both quoted 5 days. 40 hours labor and lots in paint! I would almost request the hood be straightened rather than new one repainted as it would look better then the rest of the car, but I do want a new bumper skin ;-)