96 Es300 Wont Start After Timing Belt Change

benny

I recently got my timing belt, idler pulleys changed and oil seals related to timing belt. after driving few miles car gave up on me on freeway. It wouldnt take gas. Towed to the guy who changedthe belt, he tried to start next day, cranks but doesnt starts at all. He opened timing belt cover and everything looks fine.

He changed spark plugs, cam sensor, did compresson test still wont start. Spark plugs were getting foul. lot of gas was in the chamber i guess. The mechanic is putting hours after hours no result.

I need help, anybody somebody?

I will be really greatfull.

I have this car from long time, no problems ever. I have gut feeling he screwed up wid timing belt, but he doesnt agree. engine lights comes on but the codes are minor which wont affect the performance. Another thing the mechanic, wen he tried to start, he used his car charger, and plugged negative wid positive.

Will that make any diff? he says it didnt.

Again I thank u all in advance, this site has allways helped me.

Thanks

If you are getting wet plugs I would suspect the ignition system. Is it getting spark? Maybe the coil, distributor, dist. shaft, etc.

The plugs are getting wet, but that could by cranking the car too many times. He removed four easy assesable plugs and turned off the fuel pump and cranked the car, to remove gasoline, still didnt work. Its getting good spark.

thanks

If you are getting spark and gas I would suspect a timing problem. Gas plus spark = combustion. No combustion suggests the piston is in the wrong place at the time of the combustion.

Well now the mechanic is saying its a ignition problem, not all the coils are getting current, but i dont believe him anymore, even in past i had trouble with him, So for i paid $1000.00 for timing belt change he is asking another $480.00 for diagnose and the plugs he changed. If i pay him 480 then he said he will start diagnosing the ignition problem, since its not just the coils.

The car stoped on Sunday, after towing to his place i cranked it it started but when u give gas it stoped.

I really appericiate your help.

Thanks

If you are getting spark and gas I would suspect a timing problem. Gas plus spark = combustion. No combustion suggests the piston is in the wrong place at the time of the combustion.

Well now the mechanic is saying its a ignition problem, not all the coils are getting current, but i dont believe him anymore, even in past i had trouble with him, So for i paid $1000.00 for timing belt change he is asking another $480.00 for diagnose and the plugs he changed. If i pay him 480 then he said he will start diagnosing the ignition problem, since its not just the coils.

The car stoped on Sunday, after towing to his place i cranked it it started but when u give gas it stoped.

I really appericiate your help.

Thanks

I would have it towed to another shop for diagnosis. It appears that their may have been a problem with the original work, which if he is any type of mechanic should offer some type of warranty on his work or find a new job. Tow it to the other shop and let them figure out what the problem is to get a second opinion. The towing is a hellofa lot less that the work. Then if you feel like they have figured it out let them repair the vehicle and request the difference back from the original mechanic. If he wont return partial funds I would never use him or recommend him again because that would hurt more than taking him to court for the money. :ph34r:

Yea thats what i was thinking to do, its not issue about the money, just its very frustrating. I wish i had paid by credit card so i would have simply put dispute on the payment.

ThankYou all for your help.

I recently got my timing belt, idler pulleys changed and oil seals related to timing belt. after driving few miles car gave up on me on freeway. It wouldnt take gas. Towed to the guy who changedthe belt, he tried to start next day, cranks but doesnt starts at all. He opened timing belt cover and everything looks fine.

He changed spark plugs, cam sensor, did compresson test still wont start. Spark plugs were getting foul. lot of gas was in the chamber i guess. The mechanic is putting hours after hours no result.

I need help, anybody somebody?

I will be really greatfull.

I have this car from long time, no problems ever. I have gut feeling he screwed up wid timing belt, but he doesnt agree. engine lights comes on but the codes are minor which wont affect the performance. Another thing the mechanic, wen he tried to start, he used his car charger, and plugged negative wid positive.

Will that make any diff? he says it didnt.

Again I thank u all in advance, this site has allways helped me.

Thanks

Could having the reversed jump start have burnt out the diodes in the alternator and therefore no spark? Why did he jump start it anyway?

Is tha battery good? Is it taking a charge and holding it. Is it GETTING an adequate charge from the alternator ?Cheap to check that stuff out(relatively).

What are the minor codes related to? Funny how its been fine all the time and the mechanic screws it up and costs you lots of money. Even the T belt charge seems too much. Should have replaced the water pump while he was at it...and all for less! Any other mechanic would be better!

[i think he changed water pump, timing belt, idler pulley, and gasket since there was oil leak.

There is spark coming in plugs. while parked on freeway flashers were on for a while, it drained the battery. The whole thing is after taking to the shop, i cranked the car it started, there was lil bit juice left in battery, but it wont take gas, it would turn off. Next day he did wrong connection, and it wont start at all but plug is still sparking. I dont know at this moment if battery is holding charge but with heave duty charger it shouldnt be a problem to start. Another funny thing is since i didnt know how bad i need to get the belt changed, I told him to change since i put 80k miles on it sinc ei bought it (bought it at 100k).when he took off the belt, the belt was just fine, but idler pulley wasnt good and there was oil leak., anyways i told him to change it since he opened up everything. I am at loss now thats all i can say.

Thanks

[i think he changed water pump, timing belt, idler pulley, and gasket since there was oil leak.

There is spark coming in plugs. while parked on freeway flashers were on for a while, it drained the battery. The whole thing is after taking to the shop, i cranked the car it started, there was lil bit juice left in battery, but it wont take gas, it would turn off. Next day he did wrong connection, and it wont start at all but plug is still sparking. I dont know at this moment if battery is holding charge but with heave duty charger it shouldnt be a problem to start. Another funny thing is since i didnt know how bad i need to get the belt changed, I told him to change since i put 80k miles on it sinc ei bought it (bought it at 100k).when he took off the belt, the belt was just fine, but idler pulley wasnt good and there was oil leak., anyways i told him to change it since he opened up everything. I am at loss now thats all i can say.

Thanks

If there was gas in the cyls than i don t think it was sparking and it was getting gas. It really sounds like your battery in that the alt. should charge it when you were running and it died with the flashers on. Not much there.

I m no expert but i would definately check the alternater and battery. Also check the volt regulator/cellunoid as these are cheap and MIGHT just be the problem without spending a fortune on everything else first.

The timing belt was obvioulsy installed incorrectly. Even one notch off will casue the car to exhibit the symtoms you described.

That is unless you are a dedicated beliver in coincidence that is.

Thats what i thought,but why there is no current coming in one of the spark plug, when u crank the car it doesnt come, when stop cranking it comes for a sec.

The shop is closed for xmas holidays. One good thing is the mechanic agreed to charge nothing to fix it, but its not getting fixed.

• 3 months later...