Clunk Noise From Front Strut When Cold [97 Es300]

Hello Everyone, I have a 97' ES300 with 138k miles on, very reliable car I had it for two years. But ever since I got it I could hear this 'clunk' noise coming from the front right side of the wheel everytime I drive over a dump while the car is cold, i just goes 'clunk clunk'. when the car warms up the noise goes away, which is usually within 10 mins of driving.

I am wondering how serious of a problem this is? Do I need a strut replacement or there's simply a loose nut? Should I ignore this problem or spend $200 (just a guess on the price :P) fixing it, which is not a big deal to me if $200 can do it, but I rather save the $200 for a xbox360 if the problem is not at all serious.

Any advise is welcome :rolleyes: Thanks in advance!

I am not a strut or shock expert, but I have replaced several back in the day.......

It may not be your strut making the noise. Usually when struts go bad, it isn't noise that gives it away, it is your vehicle bouncing over bumps more than normal. Most often than not, noise, when made by struts and shocks are made by the mounts, shock or strut mounts that may be loose. Additionally, if they strut is not tightened to specs and is slightly lose, it will have a little play that could make the noise you described. The only issue then is why does the noise go away when the car warms up, for that, I have no answer. Lastly, your $200 price is low. Struts are expensive, moreover, they should be replaced in pairs. I would think new struts to the front of your car (pair, installed) would be closer to $800+.

Bottom line, if your car is not bouncing like a yo yo, and does not drive noticeably different, it may be nothing more than a worn mount or play which can be fixed when you finally do replace your struts. So, game on!

Yeah, that is definately mounts. You don't need struts as long as they work good and have no leaks. At that milage I would recommend getting front struts and mounts done, and get the sway bar links looked at, they can cause noise very similar to strut mounts except for it is way softer of a sound. You will need an alignment after doing anything that has to do with strut removal as well.