Miles To Empty?

When the display for "Miles to Empty" reads 0, does anybody know how many miles you can drive beyond that before getting gas? Just curious, because when I filled it up when the Miles to Empty read 0, my car only took about 15 gallons.

When the display for "Miles to Empty" reads 0, does anybody know how many miles you can drive beyond that before getting gas? Just curious, because when I filled it up when the Miles to Empty read 0, my car only took about 15 gallons.

This has been discussed before, but people have got anywhere from 20 to 50 miles. Most agree that it's not a good idea to run your tank that low, especially in the winter.

I had the same issue this week. The indicator read 0 and I was only able to add 15 gallons. I thought the tank was 17.1 ?

Basically you are around 2 gallons from REAL empty when you get the zero miles marker.

If you have had a tank avg consumption of 20 mpg then you are really 40 miles from running dry...

and if you were "hypermiling" and getting on avg 30 mpg then your are 60 miles from dry...

What makes you think zero miles is really zero miles? If that were the case you'll see plenty of drivers on the side of the road with a plastic gas can. I would be one of those as I have run to the zero miles indicator three times...