Transmission Dip Stick Hard To Re-insert

pctsc430

2002 sc430. transmission dip stick is very hard to re-insert. it goes down about 2/3 of the way, then gets sorta stuck. must hold stick very tight using thumb and index, then push down real hard.

i talked to dealer about it. they said that's normal, and just bad design! i noted that the stick is twisted about 30% near the end, and was told that's the way it is.

has anyone noticed the same, that the transmission dip stick is hard to re-insert all the way down? thanks.

2002 sc430. transmission dip stick is very hard to re-insert. it goes down about 2/3 of the way, then gets sorta stuck. must hold stick very tight using thumb and index, then push down real hard.

i talked to dealer about it. they said that's normal, and just bad design! i noted that the stick is twisted about 30% near the end, and was told that's the way it is.

has anyone noticed the same, that the transmission dip stick is hard to re-insert all the way down? thanks.

I have had other cars with the same issue. You can try turning the dipstick as you insert it. The twist I believe is to give the stick a stiffness so it doesn't bend as it is being inserted.

• 15 years later...

Exact same issue with my 2003 SC430 trans dip stick. Maybe the new ones are teflon coated? LOL. Also checking level while hot is required, but very narrow space to reach your paw into to grab the less than handy design of the tiny T handle at top and the retaining clip release.

BTW: nothing in the owners manual about where it is located or how to check levels, such as on level ground and fully warmed up and in park.

• 5 weeks later...

Yes, I just went through this with my 2004 yesterday! I was afraid I was not going to get it back in!! Also noticed on the top of the stick at the handle it says trans fluid never needs to be replaced!! My fluid was still a nice pinkish color (58K) so I'm thinking I'm still good.

I changed mine at 100K. I think it's cheap piece of mind. If you give the dipstick a little twist as you push it in it will go easily.

Keep in mind your fluids are 20 years old.

I did the differential at the sametime. 

• Like 1