'98 Timing Belt Replacement - Maximum Return

Leadfoot

I am about to changeout the timing belt and will be doing the water pump, idler pulleys and tensioner replacement as a matter of course, just because I am in there so its an ideal opportunity. The car did its first 60,000km in Singapore, next 40,000 in New Zealand. Since I am not paying for labour directly I am happy to buy unnecessary parts and put them in just in case (please ignore this post SRK!).

I have been told it would be wise to change out the camshaft seals, anyone have experience of this on the '98. I found a brief reference to having to remove the camshafts by Mehullica, but I am still curious. I would ideally like to see a cross-section to show me the detail before I rip into this extra job. My TIS logon expired 2 days ago!

thanks.

after doing a bit of research it appears the camshaft will have to come off to replace the outer seal (it sits behind the VVT-i mechanism), therefore I will be inspecting it only at this stage! If it ain't weeping I am going to leave it the hell alone and take my chances!

Cheers

thats what i did, i even bought those seals since they are dirt cheap, but then when i opened the engine and saw the amount of work that has to go into the procedure, i decided not to:) still got the seals in the glove compartment:)

after doing a bit of research it appears the camshaft will have to come off to replace the outer seal (it sits behind the VVT-i mechanism), therefore I will be inspecting it only at this stage! If it ain't weeping I am going to leave it the hell alone and take my chances!

Cheers

You've hurt me deeply :cries: , but nonetheless I am proud of you....