99 Rx300 74,000 & Junk

LastLexus

Wow I'm shocked that my 99 RX300 is a money pit now. I thought these SUV's were built to last..I bought trouble. Rear seal was shot, air intake, and now transmission and coolent leak. I was reading here that the 99's have transmission trouble, to bad I didn't come here sooner would of traded-in at 30,000 to the dealer. Hahaha Ford is looking better and better!! I pray someone steals it, its gonna cost more to get rid of this piece of junk!!

LastLexus

Mileage?

AWD or FWD?

Known service history?

Towing?

The RX is not a piece of junk. There are many, many factors to a good car/bad car. My experience has been positive. But, I have a FWD and I know the service history.

I might also add that my other car is a Toyota Avalon but it has the exact same engine as the RX. Both cars are fairly high mileage (72K on Avy, 91K on RX) and both run great.

Last Lexus,

I am a some what very experienced mechanic with various makes and models of cars. I volunteer fixing cars through an organization and I can say that EVERY make and model has their short comings. I currently have nearly 250 K on my 99 RX300. Although I have had a few issues, most issues are strictly due to the wear and tear on the vehicle. The only "Engineering flaw" that is major is the Tranny....and it is not the actual tranny, but it is the tranny fluid pump which was undersized to begin with. That is a righteous beef to have, but other than that, most problems are standard wear and tear for a vehicle. Your rear seal may not be shot.....if you are showing a leak form the tranny, it can often be mis-diagnosed as a rear seal. Your air intake is a simple problem to fix...very rarely does the air intake actually fail, it just functions less efficiently. Your coolant leak is most likely due to lack of maintenance. I have 250 K on mine and have NEVER had any coolant leaks! NEVER, but each car is different and has its own circumstances. Whoever is telling you about the seal and tranny leak, I would have it double checked to make sure. Most times you will not have a rear seal leak until higher mileage.....my bet is that you do have a leak, but the source has been mis-diagnosed. If you need help on how to solve these problems, please let us know and we will coach you as best we can. Have your tranny fluid flushed every 25 - 30 K by the way and that will help you extend the life of the vehicle. I got 190 K on mine before my tranny failed.....just FYI.