Es300 Nakamichi Stereo

I was driving from San Francisco to Los Angeles when the stereo in my 1998 ES300 started to make a loud winning sound and then POP. After that nothing. No power no nothing. I tried to replace the fuse once and the new fuse blew right away. I talked to the dealership and they told me that the Amp has gone out and it will cost , get this, 600.00 to fix. Can anyone tell me where the amp is located? What model the Amp is on this car? Where I can find a replacement? I found a guy who will do the Labor for 100.00 if I find the Factory Original Amp. It's from the 1998 Nakamichi Stereo upgrade. It was a long quite drive back to SF.

-Walter Scott Martin

Amplifier is to the far right of the dashboard in the vicinity of the cd changer. May not be able to see it from under the dash, so you may have to remove the glovebox. Not 100 percent sure you can even get a replacement from the dealer since Lexus no longer provides support for Nakamichi components. Repair support was provided through Pioneer and they were ending support as soon as they ran out of parts.

Doesn't California have 'junkyards'???? Oops, sorry. . . . salvage yards???

eBay (IF you find an amp) will be more costly than a junkyard, plus, there is NO guarantee that you will get what is acutally described.