Rear Door Courtesy Lights

On my 98 GS the rear door courtesy lights are both out, but I checked the bulbs and the filaments are OK. Continuity tester also shows bulbs are good. I suspect a fuse but this car has three fuse panels. Anyone know which fuse to check? Original owner's manual was not with the car when I purchased it so I have no idea where to begin.

On my 98 GS the rear door courtesy lights are both out, but I checked the bulbs and the filaments are OK. Continuity tester also shows bulbs are good. I suspect a fuse but this car has three fuse panels. Anyone know which fuse to check? Original owner's manual was not with the car when I purchased it so I have no idea where to begin.

Not that this is what you want to hear but, I have the same problem. will your car relock the doors if you only open a rear door and not a front? It seems like the computers do not know the the rear doors are open. I was thinking that this might be a door lock actuator but, to have both set of contacts go bad at the same times seems unlikey. BTW the door lock actuators have contacts that show what the door is doing inside them.

BP

Not that this is what you want to hear but, I have the same problem. will your car relock the doors if you only open a rear door and not a front? It seems like the computers do not know the the rear doors are open. I was thinking that this might be a door lock actuator but, to have both set of contacts go bad at the same times seems unlikey. BTW the door lock actuators have contacts that show what the door is doing inside them.

BP

Crap. Yes, mine does this also. As you say it is like the car doesn't know the rear doors are open, and it does it for both doors. Somebody has to know what causes this. But who? The challenge is given!

BP

You need new door latch/lock actuators. You are exactly correct in that the door open/closed switch is sticking in the closed position. Therefore, the door ECU does not know the door is open.

Is this a common occurrence on cars that have seldom-used rear doors? If so, is it possible to disassemble and clean the rear door lock actuators? Not trying to be cheap, but if I can fix it in the garage I'd like to give it a go.