Looking At New Tires /rx330

tbart16

Looking at new tires for my '04 rx330 I've been looking through tire rack and I really like the continental tires. only problem they are oversized (255/55/18) any problems with going with the larger tire? anyone use conti tires? thanks

If you need 255/55/18s, then get a set of Bridgestone Alenzas. You won't regret it. Best treadwear warranty (65,000 miles), best wet weather and snow handling, and they really track and ride well, too. My wife's set has about 20,000 miles on them and they still look like new. I've found they do best on her 2004 RX330 AWD when kept at about 36 psi.

If you need 255/55/18s, then get a set of Bridgestone Alenzas. You won't regret it. Best treadwear warranty (65,000 miles), best wet weather and snow handling, and they really track and ride well, too. My wife's set has about 20,000 miles on them and they still look like new. I've found they do best on her 2004 RX330 AWD when kept at about 36 psi.

So, have you had any issues with the oversized 255/55/18 tires? How long have you been driving with them?

I had to buy new tires last year, I ended up going with the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza's because of the good reviews on Tire Rack. Almost 20k miles later, they're still very meaty. Very happy with them. The only disappointment was that I wanted to upgrade sizing from 235 to 255, but was afraid that the tires were going to scrape or rub. I couldn't find any posts about sizing up (other than for rx300's), so I ended up sticking with the smaller OEM size. In my opinion, the 235's look too small...as if they leave too much open wheel well space. If you've not had any issues, I will definately go with the larger 255's next time.

Sorry about my typo mistake above on the tire size application. I should have typed 235, not 255. I'm not sure if the Alenza is available in a 255 application. If that's what you're looking for, then go to the Bridgestone website and check.

I think that the 235/55/18 tires fill up the wheel wells of the RX330 quite nicely. Knowing how limited the wheel well room is in the RX series from owning both a 2000 model and a 2004 model, you have to be very careful about plus-sizing tires on these vehicles otherwise your front tires will rub in tight turns and you'll drastically shorten their lifespan as a result. Also be aware that the strut springs always limit your tire diameters on both rear wheels for all RX models....

Just be careful that your tires willnot be too big. I think you will be fine, but any decent tire shop will have a conversion table etc. that will be able to tell you if the larger sized tire will work. From my experience you should be fine.