Need Help With Scratch

Hi all

So I scratched my car while in a detailing frenzy. I had the wipers up as i was wiping my new baby down, then I put the hood up and forgot to put the wipers back down first. :cries:

The scratch is on the lip of the hood. Thank God it's not in a very noticeable spot.

Do you think I can touch it up? or should I take it to a body shop? I'm also not sure if I bent my wiper or not. It still functions but it doesn't look like it lines up correctly.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

post-25159-1195405782_thumb.jpg

post-25159-1195405845_thumb.jpg

post-25159-1195405871_thumb.jpg

post-25159-1195405890_thumb.jpg

post-25159-1195405909_thumb.jpg

Hi all

So I scratched my car while in a detailing frenzy. I had the wipers up as i was wiping my new baby down, then I put the hood up and forgot to put the wipers back down first.:cries:

The scratch is on the lip of the hood. Thank God it's not in a very noticeable spot.

Do you think I can touch it up? or should I take it to a body shop? I'm also not sure if I bent my wiper or not. It still functions but it doesn't look like it lines up correctly.

OUCH! Did this to my Passat when it was one month old. I ended up filling the defect with several layers of primer and touch up paint. I'm the only one to know it ever happened. If you can live with that, skip the (potentially) $$$ body shop. If, however, you'll sleep better at night getting it restored "like new", then have at it (your money ;) ).

The wipers look OK to me. Given the contour and curve of the windshield and the need for the blades to sit flush, standing the wipers up makes them look out of alignment. To be sure, swing by a local dealership on a Sunday, line your car up with another and compare.

In my opinion I would first try to touch up the hood first. If that does not make you happy then get it fixed by the body shop. But in my opinion even if the bodyshop paints the hood its gonna be really hard to match your original paint that you have. Have you ever felt the edges of a hood after the body shop paints a hood? I will tell you this much its not as smooth as the original factory paint, the over spray just does not give you that smooth touch. I hope this helps.

M.L.

Hi all

So I scratched my car while in a detailing frenzy. I had the wipers up as i was wiping my new baby down, then I put the hood up and forgot to put the wipers back down first.:cries:

• 3 weeks later...

Wow!!!

Now thats a scratch!!! anyway I had a scratch like that on my truck (not a lexus of course) My buddy owns a airbrush shop and I had him fix it with touch up paint and it came out PERFECT!!! He basically masked off the area scuffed it up, sanded it and sprayed the touch up paint using an airbrush. If you know anyone that knows anyone that can airbrush they may be albe to assist you without too much trouble and make it look great.

Using touch up paint with the applicator sucks IMHO, if you can spray it on it will last much longer!!!!! :cheers: