Trade It Or Keep It?

acthad

Hi,

I have a 99 RX300 with 83k mi on it and have put about $3400 into it in the last year with trans service, plugs, belts, tires, timing belt, water pump, Mass Air Meter, IAC Valve, and today it needs Strut Mounts...its paid off, but I am thinking of cutting my losses.

Need opinions on keeping a car longer without a car payment, but I am at $287 a month on average with repairs in the last year. I know this is a tough question that can only be answered by myself, but looking to see what fellow RX-ers think out there.

I currently have the motor mount going so now there is a vibration when in Drive with Brake is holding the car in place. So that will be more $$$, Air Fuel Sensor is going too. Body is in good condition, interior is in average condition.

I guess also I wonder what it is worth as well?

Thanks in advance.

It seems to me you've hit a time 90k mi where the service gets expensive. I went through that about a year ago with all th 90k mi services and such. In 07 however my 00RX has only cost me about $250 in service and even if I didn't do some of it myself it would have been less than $1k. A lot cheaper per month than any new car I'd be willing to drive. I too will need the motor mounts (although I've gotten used to the vibe) and another odd vibration that I'm sure will cost something to eradicate, but still a lot cheaper than a new car and especially anything comparable.

those are normal wear and tear items, once replaced good for another 90k...Also your car registration and car payment would go up with the new car, just fix it, you will be ahead....Sorry that you can not do these things yourself, but an independent mechanic that you trust could save you some money. My RX300 1999 has 145k miles and is still going strong, yes I did have to replace the transmission at 100k, but now I change the fluid every 15k miles and hope to run it to 250k miles....good luck

We opted to get rid of my wife's previous 2000 RX300 AWD at about 130,000 miles, right on schedule with my depreciation calculations that I ran and planned for when we purchased the vehicle more than four years ago. It suffered through the well-known typical early-model RX failures (transmission replaced, cracked exhaust manifold replaced, leaking rear main oil seal replaced, strut mount rubber bushings replaced, most oxygen sensors replaced), but I was always successful in requiring our local Lexus dealership to fix these problems as they developed during the warranty period as well as after the warranty expired. None of the major failures ever cost us a dime, and my wife always had a loaner vehicle from the dealership for as long as her repairs required (more than a week during the transmission replacement episode). While I cursed corporate Lexus for building a real turkey with so many problems, I was always very thankful of our local dealership's service manager who took care of us as each unfortunate failure surfaced and had to be dealt with. That kind of local customer care will not be forgotten, and she has been just as attentive with my wife's current 2004 model during the minor problems we've had to deal with during its warranty period thus far in 2007.

Had we kept the 2000 RX300, I was facing the timing belt/water pump replacement at about 150,000 miles and would probably have had to deal with failing motor mounts as well, especially the well-known dogbone mount failure (but that one is relatively inexpensive and easy to do for anyone with some tools and basic mechanical knowledge).

The 1999 and 2000 RX models (especially AWD) are unquestionably weaker than the later RX models as Toyota began to address some of the issues and failures. Some of these issues were acknowledged by Toyota and subsequently addressed in TSBs (rear main oil seal, strut mount rubber bushings), but unfortunately for the consumer some of the major issues remain unacknowledged by Toyota even today (best example is the lousy transmission design and performance that the 1999 and 2000 RX AWD models are infamous for).

Although I did not want another RX in our garage because of the many issues our 2000 model had, my wife found a well-cared for 2004 RX330 AWD that had just over 30,000 miles when she purchased it (it's her money and her vehicle so she gets to drive what she wants even though I'm expected to maintain it). We've had a few warranty issues with this 2004 model but nothing major compared to her old 2000 albatross. There's no question that her 2004 RX is a better vehicle (now at about 61,000 miles), and I remain convinced that we made the right decision to unload her old 2000 RX so it could no longer torment me by inventing additional ways to break down and cause problems. I'd rather have her driving another Jeep Grand Cherokee since we've had fantastic success with them over the years, but as I mentioned earlier, it's her money and her vehicle so she gets to make the final choice (within reason, of course - no Cayennes or Range Rovers in this household, thank you - I'm not into having to hire a tow truck to follow her around)....

And by the way, I've planned for a 150,000-to-160,000 mile depreciation schedule for her 2004 RX. I hope to get it there with far, far fewer problems than her previous 2000 RX threw at us....

Good luck with your decision, whichever way you decide to go....

Thanks to all for your input. Since I have the AWD model and no extended warranty, I think I am getting a new car. My wife too is the decision maker, I just maintain them. RX in NC's 2000 RX sounds pretty accurate as to what would happen to mine especially since it is driven in heavy traffic and extreme temperatures in Chicago's Summers and Winters. Plus since it is our family car, I need to feel confident that it will be low cost and reliable, and thus could not sell it outright to anyone whole heartedly.

Boy maybe I should have bought the Toyota Highlander instead of the RX?

This forum rocks! Thanks again!

Thanks to all for your input. Since I have the AWD model and no extended warranty, I think I am getting a new car. My wife too is the decision maker, I just maintain them. RX in NC's 2000 RX sounds pretty accurate as to what would happen to mine especially since it is driven in heavy traffic and extreme temperatures in Chicago's Summers and Winters. Plus since it is our family car, I need to feel confident that it will be low cost and reliable, and thus could not sell it outright to anyone whole heartedly.

Not a bad choice, a 99 is a bit long in the tooth to be a primary family car even if it is a Lexus. By the by you could'nt have bought a Highlander back in 99, the didn't start making them until about 01, and if you'd bought an 01 RX you wouldn't have the tranny, sludge and some other small worries that come along with the 99 and 00 models.

In any case, good luck, what do you plan to get as a replacement?? Just curious as I'm also going to be replacing my RX in the next couple of years, but I'm not sure with what.

Not a bad choice, a 99 is a bit long in the tooth to be a primary family car even if it is a Lexus. By the by you could'nt have bought a Highlander back in 99, the didn't start making them until about 01, and if you'd bought an 01 RX you wouldn't have the tranny, sludge and some other small worries that come along with the 99 and 00 models.

In any case, good luck, what do you plan to get as a replacement?? Just curious as I'm also going to be replacing my RX in the next couple of years, but I'm not sure with what.

Sorry forgot to mention my RX was a CPO bought in 03 with 32k mi and then I maintained it well. I used synthetic since I have owned it. Did all the factory recommended service. I have changed my tranny oil twice since owning it, but seeing all these other trans failures on the forum isn't inspiring confidence.

So replacement is a tough choice I would like to stay well under the $30k range like last time. I am thinking small SUV with higher mpgs and modern saftey and technology features preferably Japanese and low maintenance! May do a minivan as well. Will let you know what I end up doing. I may just drive my RX for another year then take the plunge. Thanks for the reply!