90 Ls400 Transmission

teamer

Hello,

I have a 90 LS400 with 108k miles (engine and transmission are in great condition).

I recently "flushed" out the tranny fluid (Toyota T-IV) on my 90LS using the "cooler line to radiator" method.

After flushing, I tried driving it, but, as you know you have to slowly shift gears back & forth to allow the new fluid to work it's way internally. After a few tries, I was able to drive away and drove for about 10 miles.

I checked the fluid levels a few days after and had to re-fill a little bit (til all fluids fully circulated through the transmission).

Now, I noticed that when I start & drive the car (engine cold) sometimes the transmission would "slip" occasionally. When I say slip, I mean it would shift gears (rpms go up & down) when I am at a stop or rolling to a stop. After the car reaches normal operating temperatures, the problem goes away.

But, I am concerned because it never did that before the tranny fluid change. The old tranny fluid was actually ok (clear red) before I changed it, but, I wanted to flush it out since I recently bought it and I have no service history regarding the fluid.

Perhaps I may not have allowed the fluid to circulate enough before driving it 10 miles (causing damage to the internals)?

Has anyone tried this or encountered similar problems?

Maybe someone with transmission experience can chime in.

Thanks!

TEAMER

did the same thing two years ago and the same thing happened. too bad for me i didn't know much about cars then and killed the tranny. did you change the filter on the bottom of the tranny? this is prob the cause. also look at the magnets to see if the wear is bad.

and if your are wondering NO i will never flush the fluid again since it is a lot easier and safer to just change the fluid (2qt out 2qt in). and since i got the new tranny i did not change the fluid for 2 years (silly me :chairshot: ) and recently the tranny started slipping but the fluid was DARK RED :cries: . did about 3 changes (6 qt total) and all is well now (will keep changing fluid in future!)

but look at the filter and good luck! :cheers: