Power Steering

showster

It has gotten cold in Northwest Florida and have noticed something strange when starting my 2000 Rx 300 in the morning after sitting for 24 hours. Right after startup the steering wheel does not turn like it should; if I can describe the issue in words (try to turn to steering wheel and it reacts forcefully against me; almost feels like the belt or something is slipping when backing and turning, it also feels like low engine RPMs just before a stall, but RPMs are fine. Does not do it all the time, only after sitting for a while. Any clue?

It has gotten cold in Northwest Florida and have noticed something strange when starting my 2000 Rx 300 in the morning after sitting for 24 hours. Right after startup the steering wheel does not turn like it should; if I can describe the issue in words (try to turn to steering wheel and it reacts forcefully against me; almost feels like the belt or something is slipping when backing and turning, it also feels like low engine RPMs just before a stall, but RPMs are fine. Does not do it all the time, only after sitting for a while. Any clue?

It's cold.

It was very cold in my area last week. The tire pressure was down to 25psi, instead of 32 that I checked three weeks ago, and it made a difference in steering feeling. Changing the fluid in the reservoir will help a little too, if the belt tension is properly maintained.

I had similar issues with my son-in-laws Camry. Two things relieved most of the symptoms. One, I checked the power steering reservoir and it was low. Two, I used a suction gun and withdrew all of the PS fluid and replaced it with new, approved Toyota PS fluid.

How is your level and has it ever been changed? Btw, this is a common complaint during winter on a Toyota Camry forum that I visit.

Gary

I had similar issues with my son-in-laws Camry. Two things relieved most of the symptoms. One, I checked the power steering reservoir and it was low. Two, I used a suction gun and withdrew all of the PS fluid and replaced it with new, approved Toyota PS fluid.

How is your level and has it ever been changed? Btw, this is a common complaint during winter on a Toyota Camry forum that I visit.

Gary

The level is fine, but not sure when it was last changed. Only has symptoms in the morning right after startup and only when is is chilly (40/50ish). Temperature might not have anything to do with it, but didn't notice until the temperature changed.

It has gotten cold in Northwest Florida...

Wait a minute! I realized you just said cold in NW FL. What? Did it get down to 60 degrees? ;)

Seriously, when my son-in-laws Camry started acting up, it was in the high 30s and low 40s. I would guess that seriously old and, perhaps, contaminated PS fluid might cause issues.