Help - How To Replace Low Beam Bulbs On 97 Ls400

LUVmyLS

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a new member luv the site, need some help on replaceing the low beam bulbs. Just brought some Slyvannia Ultra , do I need to remove the head light assembly?

I recomment that you do espesially since you paid so much for those bulbs.

It's easy enough and you will eliminate the chance that you will touch the bulb during installation - The reason why most halgen bulbs burn out.

Just replaced a bunch of bulbs myself the other weekend. The whole job took me about 30 minutes in my driveway at night.

I'm a new member luv the site, need some help on replacing the low beam bulbs. Just brought some Slyvannia Ultra , do I need to remove the head light assembly?

Some people prefer to remove the headlight assemblies. I do not prefer this method since it takes longer and can slightly affect your headlight aim. I found that moving the battery back on the divers side and removing the plastic intake duct on the passengers side gives you easy access to both bulbs. Total job took me less than 10 minutes. The plastic intake duct only has one bolt and the battery has 2.

Good Luck!

I'm a new member luv the site, need some help on replacing the low beam bulbs. Just brought some Slyvannia Ultra , do I need to remove the head light assembly?

Some people prefer to remove the headlight assemblies. I do not prefer this method since it takes longer and can slightly affect your headlight aim. I found that moving the battery back on the divers side and removing the plastic intake duct on the passengers side gives you easy access to both bulbs. Total job took me less than 10 minutes. The plastic intake duct only has one bolt and the battery has 2.

Good Luck!

Gosh, it probably takes me more than 10 minutes just to reset the 18 radio stations settings I lose after disconnecting the battery. You are quick! Or are you able to reach the bulb without disconnecting the battery?

I followed the instructions in the manual and removed and reinstalled LS headlight assemblies many times while experimenting with different brands and wattages of bulbs -- sometimes several times in one evening.

I have never once had to re-aim the headlights. The key is to not touch the aiming screws and remove only the screws and bolts that hold the entire headlight assembly to the car. There are only 3 or 4 screws/bolts per side to remove.

One of the few things I liked about the Mercedes sedan I had before I bought my first LS in 1990 was that the back of the Mercedes headlights were fully exposed - only had to pop a plastic panel off the back of the headlight assembly and slap in a bulb. Toyota sure could have made it easier on the LS.

Here are the instructions for changing bulbs in my owner's manual: "If it is necessary to replace a bulb, take your vehicle to your Lexus dealer as soon as possible."

The "manual" I mentioned is the repair manual set for the 2000 LS400 which I purchased from a Lexus dealer. I bought them for $200-$300 shortly after I purchased the car and have purchased repair manual sets for almost every car that I have owned over the past 40 years.

It is odd that bulb replacement instructions were deleted from the owners manual sometime in the 1990s. The owners manual for the 1990 LS400 I owned had instructions on how to replace almost every bulb in the car. The owners manual I have for the 1994 U.K./Europe LS400 has even better instructions and includes lots of information omitted from U.S. owner manuals.

Perhaps omitting bulb replacement instructions from the owners manual was another way to increase dealer profit!