Ls430 Ultra Intermitent Audio

aldenjl

I have a 2001 LS430 Ultra w/ Mark Levinson Audio. For the past few years I would get no audio when the outside temperature was below 20 degrees F. In the last month the same issue is now happening intermittently at any temperature. Sometimes it takes a few minutes before the sound comes on and other times it never comes on at all. The radio has power, the stations display on the Nav screen, but when there is no audio, the "Sound" controls on the nav screen do not show the colored bars to adjust fade, balance etc.. Once the sound comes back these control again show up.

I have replaced the radio/CD changer and the issue did not go away. Does anyone know if their is another module that controls these functions that I should look at? Is this a function of the amp? Does the Nav unit have any impact on the audit output?

I'm going crazy without my music when I drive, so any help woudl be greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I had the similar issue this morning, when the temperature was 8F, i had no sound coming out the speakers,

the dispaly was fine, It s the same model you have, i am looking to find anyone that can help, or if you had your problem solved..

thanks

• 2 months later...
I had the similar issue this morning, when the temperature was 8F, i had no sound coming out the speakers,

the dispaly was fine, It s the same model you have, i am looking to find anyone that can help, or if you had your problem solved..

thanks

Nothing to report yet. I am still working on it. I know it's not the radio, as I swapped it out with another one and it did the same thing. I am suspecting the AMP. I was told by Lexus that there is an audio control computer that switches the sound from various inputs, like the Lexus Link system, CD, Tape, etc. It is not in the radio, so I would have to assume it's in the amlpifier.

The amp is in the trunk; on the right side behind the wheel well.

The LS430 is a little different in that the amp is on almost all the time; the nav system has to be able to feed into it when the radio/CD is not running. The radio/CD player themselves turn on and off but the amp stays powered.

I know some people have had issues with the amp overheating; perhaps this damage has manefested itself in some kind of malfunction. I know there is someone here who has a good handle on amps; you can also usually find them on fleabay for around $400 or so.

The computer they are talking about would be the Telephone transceiver and or Lexus Link (mayday) cpu; also in the trunk. Does your car(s) have either the built in phone or Lexus link option?

thanks

Nothing to report yet. I am still working on it. I know it's not the radio, as I swapped it out with another one and it did the same thing. I am suspecting the AMP. I was told by Lexus that there is an audio control computer that switches the sound from various inputs, like the Lexus Link system, CD, Tape, etc. It is not in the radio, so I would have to assume it's in the amlpifier.

• 4 weeks later...
The amp is in the trunk; on the right side behind the wheel well.

The LS430 is a little different in that the amp is on almost all the time; the nav system has to be able to feed into it when the radio/CD is not running. The radio/CD player themselves turn on and off but the amp stays powered.

I know some people have had issues with the amp overheating; perhaps this damage has manefested itself in some kind of malfunction. I know there is someone here who has a good handle on amps; you can also usually find them on fleabay for around $400 or so.

The computer they are talking about would be the Telephone transceiver and or Lexus Link (mayday) cpu; also in the trunk. Does your car(s) have either the built in phone or Lexus link option?

thanks

The car does have the phone and the lexus link. But the lexus link was just removed by Lexus as the analog service has been terminated. In the last week the Nav unit has not stopped working. I hit the map or destination buttin and I get nothing. Maybe it was the Nav controller that is locking up the audio???

Do you know how to remove the trunk panels to access the AMP? Also,

Do you know where the Nav DVD controller is located? Is it under the seat? I want to disconnect it to see if my radio audio returns.

The car does have the phone and the lexus link. But the lexus link was just removed by Lexus as the analog service has been terminated. In the last week the Nav unit has not stopped working. I hit the map or destination buttin and I get nothing. Maybe it was the Nav controller that is locking up the audio???

Do you know how to remove the trunk panels to access the AMP? Also, Do you know where the Nav DVD controller is located? Is it under the seat? I want to disconnect it to see if my radio audio returns.

Is the NAV unit not routing or you can't hear sound coming out of it? If it's offline completely either the CPU croaked or perhaps the connectors are loose.

The Nav computer is on the right hand side of the trunk under the flat panel to the right of the trunk floor. You will see/feel a slot in the front right hand side; this is the DVD slot loader. The plugs are on the back; I'm not sure if you have to remove the unit to unplug it or not. To do so you have to remove the screws and pull the unit up and wiggle it a bit.

Removing the panels in the trunk is kind of a pain; the plastic clips can be pried out carefully with a flathead screwdriver; then the D-ring bolts need to be removed with I believe a 10mm wrench. The hooks for the cargo net are a pain; and there are also a bunch of clips; attached are a couple of pages from a PDF to help you out. From what I can see the amp connectors might be behind a metal support bracket.

If the nav unit is online but not making any noise it's my bet that 1) the amp died or 2) some connector somewhere is loose. The nav system doesn't mute the radio; it just feeds into the left driver side channel. I'm not sure if the unit disconnects the speaker or just mixes into the signal going into the amp.

Good luck!