Few Questions

SalVage

Question 1:

In my '94 LS400 im having problems with most of my power windows, mainly the front passenger one. Instead of it going all the way down when you hold the button itll go a little bit down and then stop even though youre pressing the button down all the way. somtimes it can take from 1 to 5 presses to get the window fullly down or up. whats wrong with it??

Question 2:

I just recently got my '94 LS400 about a month or two ago from my cousin. when i got in i notcied a little light was on with a orange car with the taillights lit up. took me awhile to see what it was but one of my tail lights was out. i fixed the light and now they all work but the light seems to stay on. is there a way for me to reset it or something so the light goes off??

I am having the same problem with my 91 LS 400 on the tail light out indicator. In my case, no bulbs out, but I replaced a few. The certified Lexus repair center (non-dealer, but highly recommended on this forum) did not find anything. If anyone has any ideas or experience, it would be helpful to me as well.

Question 1:

In my '94 LS400 im having problems with most of my power windows, mainly the front passenger one. Instead of it going all the way down when you hold the button itll go a little bit down and then stop even though youre pressing the button down all the way. somtimes it can take from 1 to 5 presses to get the window fullly down or up. whats wrong with it??

Question 2:

I just recently got my '94 LS400 about a month or two ago from my cousin. when i got in i notcied a little light was on with a orange car with the taillights lit up. took me awhile to see what it was but one of my tail lights was out. i fixed the light and now they all work but the light seems to stay on. is there a way for me to reset it or something so the light goes off??

post-53431-1192239880_thumb.jpg

Keep checking bulbs. Same thing happen to me 94LS and it took me a year to figure out which bulbs it was. Just happen both bottom bulbs closet to the LP were burnt out. So if you didnt know that those two sections had bulbs you wouldnt replace them. It even pass an NC state inspection with both bulbs out because they couldnt tell. Also if an bulb is sometimes working it will cause the dash light to come on and stay on untill the bulb is replaced. If you have seen an buld filiment that when you taped on it would work then that is what I am talking about. If you have to just replace all the bulbs with new ones. It is real cheap to do that and I bet your dash light goes out. Good luck...

I have experience with the taillamp failure problem on my 91 LS400 and also previously on my 89 camry. I would approach it in the following way:

1) Make sure all your rear lamps, including the high mount lamp are working. Test with the brake alone, with the headlights on alone, and then with both brake and headlights on.

2) If they all seem to be working, then switch any non-original bulbs with bulbs purchased directly from a toyota or lexus dealer. A toyota tech gave me that tip once and it actually solved my problem in the 89 camry.

3) Look for any loose ground wires or any loose fitting bulbs. Also, I applied bulb grease to my rear bulbs to resist corrosion and moisture.

4) Check your taillamp failure circuit board (located in the left rear of the trunk). One giveaway is any burn marks on the printed circuit board. In my case, I was able to swap mine with one that was known to be good to confirm that it wasn't the problem.

5) Check for the infamous damaged wire in the left trunk hinge (do a search in the forum). If you find one or more damaged wires, repair them.

6) My problem in the LS400 finally seems to have resolved itself when I replaced a dying battery with a brand new one. It recurred recently but I discovered that 2 bulbs had lost contact in the socket - I restored connectivity by unscrewing and rescrewing the bulbs in and the indicator light went off.

I hope this gives you some ideas and helps you resolve the issue. If you get it fixed, let us know what you did.

I have experience with the taillamp failure problem on my 91 LS400 and also previously on my 89 camry. I would approach it in the following way:

1) Make sure all your rear lamps, including the high mount lamp are working. Test with the brake alone, with the headlights on alone, and then with both brake and headlights on.

2) If they all seem to be working, then switch any non-original bulbs with bulbs purchased directly from a toyota or lexus dealer. A toyota tech gave me that tip once and it actually solved my problem in the 89 camry.

3) Look for any loose ground wires or any loose fitting bulbs. Also, I applied bulb grease to my rear bulbs to resist corrosion and moisture.

4) Check your taillamp failure circuit board (located in the left rear of the trunk). One giveaway is any burn marks on the printed circuit board. In my case, I was able to swap mine with one that was known to be good to confirm that it wasn't the problem.

5) Check for the infamous damaged wire in the left trunk hinge (do a search in the forum). If you find one or more damaged wires, repair them.

6) My problem in the LS400 finally seems to have resolved itself when I replaced a dying battery with a brand new one. It recurred recently but I discovered that 2 bulbs had lost contact in the socket - I restored connectivity by unscrewing and rescrewing the bulbs in and the indicator light went off.

I hope this gives you some ideas and helps you resolve the issue. If you get it fixed, let us know what you did.

Infamous left hinge pinch point, you got that right! Mine was indicating when I bought it under the condition that he fix it. He (the dealer) did and It was good fo4 3 months. It came back on and sure enough I had a bad bulb. I replaced it (didnt look bad) it lit up and the indicator went out. 2 days later it came back on again with no lamps out. I had heard of a short problem in the trunk of these models so I looked into it, took me about 5 seconds to find a potential trouble spot. The driver side hinge seems to be a raceway for a large bundle of cables and when the trunk is open, they are pinched by the hinge and the hinge stop! There is a plastic cap that seems to protect them slightly, but Mine looked cobbled, possibly a butt splice? I wiggled it and relocated it a little to minimize the pinch and the indicator has not come back on yet. That is a poor piece of engineering right there in an otherwise well built car. The indicator seems to sense a load drop and the pinched wires seem tp play havoc on the sensor.post-47886-1192247205_thumb.jpg

anyone know a solution to my first problem? ive looked up a few topics on the forum and theres nothing thats helped. ive tried cleaned the switched and took out the door panel. when i press the window button it slightly goes up or down but wont roll up all the way. anyone got any advice??

if you can remove the door panel then finding the problem is much easier. there are some areas you will need to look at

1- bad mass connection for the motor

there is a button on driver's door that dis/enable window up/down of all doors. this button actually provide mass connection to the window motors. your car is there for many years and the mass may not as good as it has to be, so the motors do not have enough power to operate. to fix, find the mass wire to the motor and connect it directly to the door metal then try. if the glass goes up faster then .... bingo, you find the root cause. and i assume you will know how to fix

2- stiff window glass support mechanism

this may cause by lack of lubricant, simple to fix

3- stiff window weatherstriping

lubricate inner side of the weatherstrips with some candle wax would work fine. NEVER apply engine greese, oil to the weatherstrips or you will damage them

4- bad power window motors

this does not likely happen to even cheap old cars, you may need to replace them

the above causes are listed by possibility high to low, you may want to do from top down until you get the real cause

a quick question, did you operate the window from driver's main switch? was it different if you use the switch and each door?

hope this helps