Which gas is best used for 98 es 300  

8 members have voted

1. 1. ??

was jus wondering which will go best for my car

thnx

-black

Very Interesting!!

The 1995 ES300 users manual inside cover reads:

'Fuel Selection: Select Research Octane number 91 (Octane rating 87) or higher. For improved vehicle performance, the use of premium unleaded gasoline with a research octane number of 96 (octane rating 91) or higher is recommended.'

After reading - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating - i found out that US gas station 87 gas is the minimum recommended for the ES300. The number 87 is not the Octane number after all, it is the mean of the Research octane number(RON) and Motor octane number (MON).

It is best to use the user manuals recommended octane rating, as there is no benefit in using a higher octane rating gas. If your car pings or knocks at the recommended octane rating gas, then move up one rating level. The higher octane rating gas burns more slowly to prevent knocking.

Check out: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/041008.html

The quality of gas is less at the cheaper brands, especially at no-name stations, so more gas mileage with the better brands.

Try each brand and measure the fuel mileage.

I prefer Chevron or Shell.

thnx

-black

Mobil, Chevron, Shell 89 or 91.

The quality of gas is less at the cheaper brands. Also more gas mileage with the better brands and higher octane rating.

Try each brand and octane rating and measure the fuel mileage.

I prefer Mobil or Chevron 89.

I use 87 ARCO and Shell in my '98 ES300. Use other brands when absolutely neccessary. I have not seen any apprecialble gas mileage difference between different brands. However, using 89 or 91 lessens MPG. I get consistant average of 28 MPG highway and 26 city. Using 89 or 91 is higher octane with better performance (Quicker response) therefore, burning more gas. If you want a faster response from the gas pedal, use 89 or 91 but expect lower gas mileage, unless you are very, very light on the foot. I agree that you should use different brands and make your own decision.

Note: This only applies to my car. It is well tuned and maintained to the point that when anything is not fuctioning the way I think it should, I fix it.

thnx

-black

Mobil, Chevron, Shell 89 or 91.

The quality of gas is less at the cheaper brands. Also more gas mileage with the better brands and higher octane rating.

Try each brand and octane rating and measure the fuel mileage.

I prefer Mobil or Chevron 89.

I use 87 ARCO and Shell in my '98 ES300. Use other brands when absolutely neccessary. I have not seen any apprecialble gas mileage difference between different brands. However, using 89 or 91 lessens MPG. I get consistant average of 28 MPG highway and 26 city. Using 89 or 91 is higher octane with better performance (Quicker response) therefore, burning more gas. If you want a faster response from the gas pedal, use 89 or 91 but expect lower gas mileage, unless you are very, very light on the foot. I agree that you should use different brands and make your own decision.

Note: This only applies to my car. It is well tuned and maintained to the point that when anything is not fuctioning the way I think it should, I fix it.

Addition to previous quote. Driving conditions greatly effects gas mileage and if you have a heavy or light foot. Using AC also effects mileage.