91 Ls400 Stereo And Speakers Help

MikeyLS400

Hi all,

I bought my 91 LS400 2 weeks ago and today I noticed when I adjusted the Balance=R and Fader=R there is no audio. This also happens when Balance=L and Fader-R.

When Fader=Front and regardless of the Balace settings I can hear audio.

My stereo is the original Naki stereo, which was an option with this model.

1. Is this mean my rear speakers (left rear and right rear) are not working?

2 How do I troubleshoot to make sure the speaker or the stereo in the car?

3. Can someone help me by letting me know the size of the rear speakers and what you suggest?

4. Any suggestion on how to remove the REAR DOOR PANEL TO get access to the speakers?

Thanks

I had this same problem in my 1990LS. Check to see if you have sound coming out of you tweeters. (the triangle speaker in the front door) If so? your radio head is good! You just need new speakers.All the speakers in the doors are 4 inch. If there is no sound coming out of the tweeters ? You have a bad radio or amp. As for taking of the door panels .Do a search here using door panel and you will find out how to take them off.

This a very common problem with Nak. Radios

Hi all,

I bought my 91 LS400 2 weeks ago and today I noticed when I adjusted the Balance=R and Fader=R there is no audio. This also happens when Balance=L and Fader-R.

3. Can someone help me by letting me know the size of the rear speakers and what you suggest?

4. Any suggestion on how to remove the REAR DOOR PANEL TO get access to the speakers?

Thanks

Thanks,

Let me check and I will let you know. It's a little tough since there are audio comming out of the front speakers...and they are so close together makes it tought to determine if there is or isn't audio out of the tweeters.

Hi all,

Thanks

Thanks,

Let me check and I will let you know. It's a little tough since there are audio comming out of the front speakers...and they are so close together makes it tought to determine if there is or isn't audio out of the tweeters.

SBGUY,

Today I did a little check after got off work early..:=) . Below are what I found

1. Driver Front - tweeter and door speaker work.

2. Passenger Front - tweeter barely work, speaker not working.

3. Rear Right and Left - Both speakers are dead.

What are my options?

1. Do I need to concern with anything if I replace with 4 in. JBL replacement speakers? I heard something about crossover and not sure what it is.

2. I did a search and found a couple pictures showed the speaker housing pretty big so I am not sure if there are electronic components in there that maybe shot and my replacing just the speaker may not do any good.

Thanks

MikeyLS400,

The tweeters are wired seperately from the 4in. speakers in the doors. The back speakers are 4in. When you take off the door panels you will only two wires that are pluged into the 4in. speakers.

Your options! Just buy 4 4 inch speakers and be done with it. Or do all 4 speakers and replace the two tweeters while the door panels are off and be done with it. Either way you will have music again in your LS. If you want to be brave? Do a search to fine out how to modify the speaker box. So you can put a 5 1/4 inch speakers in, for a better sound. Good luck!

MikeyLS400,

The tweeters are wired seperately from the 4in. speakers in the doors. The back speakers are 4in. When you take off the door panels you will only two wires that are pluged into the 4in. speakers.

Your options! Just buy 4 4 inch speakers and be done with it. Or do all 4 speakers and replace the two tweeters while the door panels are off and be done with it. Either way you will have music again in your LS. If you want to be brave? Do a search to fine out how to modify the speaker box. So you can put a 5 1/4 inch speakers in, for a better sound. Good luck!

Thanks SBGuy,

That's what I am going to do..replace all 4 speakers with the 4 in. . Now, all of the 4 speakers need to be COAXIAL rite? I ask a lot of questions and appreciate your understanding. I am a newbie at Lexus LS400.

Hi Mikey,

When I took out my old speakers. They were not coaxial. Since my Tweeters were still good to my ear. I just put normal speakers back in. I see no reason why you couldn't but coaxials in the back. Since there isn't a tweeter in the back. But I'm no speaker expert!! good luck!

Hi Mikey,

When I took out my old speakers. They were not coaxial. Since my Tweeters were still good to my ear. I just put normal speakers back in. I see no reason why you couldn't but coaxials in the back. Since there isn't a tweeter in the back. But I'm no speaker expert!! good luck!

Hi,

I went out to circuit city and bought 4 Polk 501 2-way speakers then replaced the stock speakers on my 91 LS400. On the Polk 501, 2 holes lined up pretty well but the other 2 holes I had to enlarged them in order to mount the speaker with the existing holes in the housing. Overall, the sound quality is pretty good.

Thanks