Cracked Windshield Rx 330

jdandrew

i think there is a problem with the windshield in this car 2004 rx 330. the glass chips much too easily as compared to other suv,s with poorer aerodynamics. my windshield cracked when i washed it today sitting in the shade on a cool fall day. absolutely no physical contact with the glass. heard a dull thud and watched the crack evolve across the windshield starting behind the moulding and extending thru the central glass. there seem to be some similar complaints with stress fracture as the cause. this must be a materials or an installation issue. what does lexus have to say about it.

• 4 months later...

i think there is a problem with the windshield in this car 2004 rx 330. the glass chips much too easily as compared to other suv,s with poorer aerodynamics. my windshield cracked when i washed it today sitting in the shade on a cool fall day. absolutely no physical contact with the glass. heard a dull thud and watched the crack evolve across the windshield starting behind the moulding and extending thru the central glass. there seem to be some similar complaints with stress fracture as the cause. this must be a materials or an installation issue. what does lexus have to say about it.

Yes, you might be right but your warranty has already gone by the way side. If you convince your LEXUS dealership to replace it..by all means GO FOR IT !!

This happened to me as well (2004 Lexus RX330) and we have rectified the situation by replacing the front windshield via our Insurance company. I can tell you that your choices will be: 1). Dealership Glass (same as OEM glass..just cost more at the dealership), 2). OEM Glass (Original Equipment Manufacturer) and 3). OEE Glass (Original Equipment Equivalent = AFTERMARKET). Our insurance company provided us with SAFELITE Glass Company as the SHOP that does all their work. In our particular case PPG,PILKINGTON and LOS or LQS was the choice of AFTERMARKET glass to choose from, which we paid only $50 for via insurance policy...if you choose to have OEM glass which is preferred by some you will pay top dollar for it..somewhere around $1000 to $1400. Most people are concerned with the fact that the RX has a RAIN SENSOR and that it might not work correctly. I can tell you after watching the installation (roughly 1 hour) and testing it within hours of the finished job...I'm very happy ! I'm sure some people will tell me about their hardships with AFTERMARKET GLASS :the quality of the glass (distorted),fit of the glass, tint and even the performance of the glass in a car crash. The best thing on your side is the warranty that goes with your new glass..if it leaks or is improper in it's fit, then you go back to the SAFELITE company /Insurance company and have them correct it. That's why it's warrantied !

Actually I had (2) windows replaced in that one day : one for the Lexus RX330 and one for our Mercedes Benz C280...which is even funnier. The MBZ is covered under the Insurance company as to provide only OEM Glass only..... The Insurance company has a specific relationship with MBZ and BMW cars. They have to replace those cars with OEM glass and that's was an unexpected surprise ! LIBERTY MUTUAL is the Insurance company ..in case you were wondering.

Good Luck and HAPPY hunting for that piece of glass !!

I had the windshield in my Rx300 replaced with Pilkington a few weeks ago, and it is proving to be horrible. It chips with even the smallest stones/sand and scratches like crazy. Not to mention the distortion! I had them put 3 pieces in, each one of them having the same distortion. I guess that's what you'll get for $150.

OEM glass is $1000 for a reason; it's clear, has the perminant lexus coating that repels water, and is durable.

Go with the OEM glass and be able to sleep at night.