Ready To Buy

NJPaul

OK, I’m just about ready to buy a car to replace my 2000 Infinity i30 (53,000 miles). I love the car, but because it is 7 years old, I want to replace it while it still has some value and before it starts giving me problems. (I plan to sell it privately). Plus, I really want something newer. I’m the North Central part of NJ.

I would like to stay in the mid $30.000 range. I’ve driven the 2008 Avalon (very nice) and have considered the Azera, and while you get a lot for your money, I’m a little concerned about its reliability. My first choice has always been the Lexus ES350 and it seems like I might be able to get one in my price range.

Do you guys have any suggestions and recommendations on how I can find out how I can get the lowest price on this vehicle? I will probably get a Consumer’s Report pricing guide but beside that, is there anything else that I should do before I start my negotiations? I know enough not to buy any of the add-ons that they try to sell you after the deal is done but I might want to get the extended warrantee. How negotiable is that item?

Thanks for your help.

Paul

Shop around, but when you're ready to buy, do so at the end of the quarter, and go into the dealership in the evening. The closer it gets to closing time, the less dealership BS you have to endure.

You are right about that. Show up at 6:00 PM on Saturday.

OK, I’m just about ready to buy a car to replace my 2000 Infinity i30 (53,000 miles). I love the car, but because it is 7 years old, I want to replace it while it still has some value and before it starts giving me problems. (I plan to sell it privately). Plus, I really want something newer. I’m the North Central part of NJ.

I would like to stay in the mid $30.000 range. I’ve driven the 2008 Avalon (very nice) and have considered the Azera, and while you get a lot for your money, I’m a little concerned about its reliability. My first choice has always been the Lexus ES350 and it seems like I might be able to get one in my price range.

Do you guys have any suggestions and recommendations on how I can find out how I can get the lowest price on this vehicle? I will probably get a Consumer’s Report pricing guide but beside that, is there anything else that I should do before I start my negotiations? I know enough not to buy any of the add-ons that they try to sell you after the deal is done but I might want to get the extended warrantee. How negotiable is that item?

Thanks for your help.

Paul

Hi Paul,

You might get a free quote on your extended warranty from www.webargain4u.com. (888) 759-8823.

They have the Lexus Extra Care 7yr/75,000 plan zero deductable, for $1399 and the 7yr/100,000 mile platinum plan zero deductable for $1753 out the door for a new ES350. Many of the dealer finance people make their living on these warranties and are not likely to budge much. You can also try them for a better price on your new car. They were very helpful and friendly...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your suggestions. I have been working with a couple of dealers and one has offered (in writing) to sell me a new ES at "invoice". That seems like a really good deal and he is with a large dealership with a good reputation. He is not around the corner but only about an hours drive away. I can get the invoice price from Edumunds or KBB so I'll be able to check his price once I'm ready to buy.

If I get a extended warrantee from the web, is it serviced at Lexus? If so, how do I know that I'll be reimbursed for the work that is done?

Paul

If I get a extended warrantee from the web, is it serviced at Lexus? If so, how do I know that I'll be reimbursed for the work that is done?

Paul

I suggest that you only get the Genuine Lexus Extended Warranty, and forget about web deals!

Well, I guess I'll have to change my screen name from "Readytobuy". I finally bought a 2008 ES350 and will be picking it up today. :cheers:

Options include the Premium package, Wood & leather steering wheel, Bluetooth, Heated & ventilated front seats, Full size spare, High intensity headlamps w/afs, Rear seat airbags. and the Preferred accessory package. (did not need navigation) I also had a remote start system installed.

I think that I did fairly well with my negotiations - the MSRP was $38,502 and I paid $34,333. (plus the remote start) Naturally, state tax, motor vehicle registration costs and documentation fees were extra and not included in the above.

I still have not made a decision on the extended warranty. They reduced the cost by $300. but I can always purchase it later.

Now all I have to do is sell my 2000 Infinity I30.

Well, I guess I'll have to change my screen name from "Readytobuy". I finally bought a 2008 ES350 and will be picking it up today. :cheers:

Options include the Premium package, Wood & leather steering wheel, Bluetooth, Heated & ventilated front seats, Full size spare, High intensity headlamps w/afs, Rear seat airbags. and the Preferred accessory package. (did not need navigation) I also had a remote start system installed.

I think that I did fairly well with my negotiations - the MSRP was $38,502 and I paid $34,333. (plus the remote start) Naturally, state tax, motor vehicle registration costs and documentation fees were extra and not included in the above.

I still have not made a decision on the extended warranty. They reduced the cost by $300. but I can always purchase it later.

Now all I have to do is sell my 2000 Infinity I30.

Yay...........Good luck with the new car.......I hope you love it as much as I love mine. :cheers:

It sounds like you did your homework and got what you wanted. Congratulations. We just picked up our first Lexus last Monday. Smoky Granite Mica with light gray. We did get the Nav but not the XM. The dealer wanted to put the little antenna on the trunk lid and I could not go for that. It reminded of the old CB days. Other than those differences, we are simalarly equipped. Coming out of a 2002 Honda Accord, we are enthralled with the new ES350. Can hardly wait for a road trip to see how it really runs.

Rick