Help A Newbie Out!

jmrwd3

Hello! i could really use some input on a few things, We are looking to get a 2004 Lexus RX 330, but are worried about a few things

1) First off, i have heard many people talk about rattles and vibrations, is this really a problem or more of an obsessive compulsive thing, cause searching around on the internet it looks as if most cars have rattles and such.... is the RX any worse than the average car??

2) Consumer reports shows that the lexus received a different reliability in the catagory of brakes, body integrity, and power equipment, any ideas why these areas are different than other years?

3) Do you think since the 2004 was the first year produced, it didn't have the bugs worked out of it?

If you could please give me some input, especially with #1 I would really really appreciate it, this is a big decision for us!!

Hello! i could really use some input on a few things, We are looking to get a 2004 Lexus RX 330, but are worried about a few things

1) First off, i have heard many people talk about rattles and vibrations, is this really a problem or more of an obsessive compulsive thing, cause searching around on the internet it looks as if most cars have rattles and such.... is the RX any worse than the average car??

2) Consumer reports shows that the lexus received a different reliability in the catagory of brakes, body integrity, and power equipment, any ideas why these areas are different than other years?

3) Do you think since the 2004 was the first year produced, it didn't have the bugs worked out of it?

If you could please give me some input, especially with #1 I would really really appreciate it, this is a big decision for us!!

Methinks 2004, the RX330, was the initial adoption of DBW, supposedly to "protect the drive train", and that resulted in MANY owner complaints of 1-2 second acceleration delays that often resulted in a heart in throat, PANIC, condition. Apparently upon a lift-throttle coastdown event at certain speeds, noteably 40-30 and 10-0, the transaxle upshifts(***) and then cannot quickly downshift if the drievr should suddenly or quickly have the desire or need to accelerate.

*** While this would undoubtedly extend the coastdown distance and therefore also extend FE, I have always argued that it is done to alleviate or reduce loss of control incidents resulting from a significant level of engine compression on the front wheels should the roadbed happen to be somewhat slippery.

Hello! Welcome to the group!

I got my '04 330 back in May. There are noises & vibrations, but I'm chalking it up to being an SUV (I know it's a crossover - but it's still an SUV). I think it depends on what your comfort level is. If you're coming from a perfectly quite & smooth ride, you'll notice the road noise. I had a Cherokee Sport & the RX is much quiter, but I still think it should be even more quiet than what it is.

For the answer to #2, no idea but good questions.

#3 - I've decided that no car will ever have all of the bugs worked out. Yes, they might be more aparent with a 1st generation, but I think everything has it's quirks.

The lag that WWest is talking about does exist. I have found out that I just really don't need to pull out in front of anyone & stomp on the go pedal. If you do, you'll feel the lag and the headlights behind you scream towards you. Gentle acceleration works best on this car (not exactly how I drive in rush hour :blushing: ).

Good luck!

Well, two ways to look at the squeeks and rattles thing.

1. The only people who complain are those who have rattles. To coin a pun, the squeeky wheel gets the grease? Since MOST of us don't complain about these unwanted sounds, I would assume that MOST of us do not have problems.

2. As suggested, it could be the fact that there was a new design in going from the 300 to 330.

Fwiw, my '05 is a tight, rattle free car. My wife and I love to drive in it and it is very comfortable and very quiet. If all else fails, tell the dealer to let you borrow the car for the day and you want to evaluate it in on all types of roads. Then take the thing out and drive it over railroad tracks, bumpy roads, parking lots, interstate, etc. Put a hundred or so miles on the thing and then form your own opinion of that particular car. I can't imagine that the dealer will balk at the idea. Let him hold your wife hostage until you return. ;)

Gary

Well, two ways to look at the squeeks and rattles thing.

1. The only people who complain are those who have rattles. To coin a pun, the squeeky wheel gets the grease? Since MOST of us don't complain about these unwanted sounds, I would assume that MOST of us do not have problems.

2. As suggested, it could be the fact that there was a new design in going from the 300 to 330.

Fwiw, my '05 is a tight, rattle free car. My wife and I love to drive in it and it is very comfortable and very quiet. If all else fails, tell the dealer to let you borrow the car for the day and you want to evaluate it in on all types of roads. Then take the thing out and drive it over railroad tracks, bumpy roads, parking lots, interstate, etc. Put a hundred or so miles on the thing and then form your own opinion of that particular car. I can't imagine that the dealer will balk at the idea. Let him hold your wife hostage until you return. ;)

Gary

I have a 2004 RX330 and I love it! I am what some people would call a car junkie i go through cars quickly, i usually get bored from a car and want a new one with in 6 months. However with this car I think it may be a keeper for me. I don't have any rattles, or strange noises yet and my car has 60K on it! I have experience the down/upshifting that was mentioned but it is (at least for me) not really a problem. When i really need the power its there. It for me is very comfortable, reliable, beautiful, and spacious for a crossover. I have owned many kinds of SUV's, RX300, Infiniti, Mercedes ML350, Nissian Armada, Lincoln Navigator and the RX330 is my favorite. I think you would love it!