92 Ls400 Transmission Issue

XL2007

So I took my 92 LS400 to the dealer to have the transmission flushed. Service techs looked at the condition of the fluid (about a brownish red - I suspect the fluid hadn't been changed in a looooong time) and said "no way", since according to them the transmission had shed too much "clutch material" for them to do a flush without having to worry about premature failure. They said the thickness of the current fluid was pretty much holding it together.

Now if this is so, then wouldn't a "drain and fill" with a bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix hold it together? And how long would I have before I see some serious problems?

FWIW, the shifting is getting a bit harsher, especially going into 3rd gear.

I don't know where the myth started that deems "old trans fluid holds it together", but I wish it would die.

If the only symptom is a slightly harsh shift performance, get an independant to flush it and see what happens. I wouldn't be in a hurry to pull the trans just because the oil looks dirty. I can assure you the Lexus tech won't rebuild it - their policy is to replace with a factory reman unit. Perhaps he wasn't busy that day....

I think the trans is probably fine. Let us know.