Sun Roof

LexAustin

I am a proud owner of 1991 Lexus LS400. It has over 215K miles and it drives like a new car. Just recently, the sun roof is not working! It opens and closes. The problem is when I close the sun roof, it slides all the way back, but the left corner at the back is staying up, not flatly down. I took it to the local mechanic and he tells me that I need to replace to whole sun roof's trails and all.

The local mechanic estimated the cost of $1500 to replace the sunroof trails and spool. Is this a bit too much? I really appreciate your assistance.

Also, the followings are no longer working:

- power lock switch on the driver side.

- power antenna

- clock panel - unable to read

post-53679-1191164352_thumb.jpg

Is this "local mechanic" a Lexus or Toyota dealership, or an independent with little if any experience with sunroofs?

He is independent, used to work for Lexus dealership

LexAustin

I had this problem with A 1900 LS. They had to replace both sunroof rails. At 425 dollars a side from the dealer. The labor was 300 dollars.Totaling a 1000 dollars. If I had to do it a gain? I would buy them used from a wrecking yard. I have priced the rails from a wrecking yard. And they cost about 200 dollars for both sides. It is a big job to replace them! Good luck!

Is this "local mechanic" a Lexus or Toyota dealership, or an independent with little if any experience with sunroofs?

He is independent, used to work for Lexus dealership

LexAustin

I had this problem with A 1900 LS. They had to replace both sunroof rails. At 425 dollars a side from the dealer. The labor was 300 dollars.Totaling a 1000 dollars. If I had to do it a gain? I would buy them used from a wrecking yard. I have priced the rails from a wrecking yard. And they cost about 200 dollars for both sides. It is a big job to replace them! Good luck!

SBGuy, Thanks so much for the info. I really appreciate it.

Lexaustin, I'm in Austin too. I have some friends doing body works in austin let me check with them and see if they can give you a good price. Let me know if you want me to.

Lexaustin, I'm in Austin too. I have some friends doing body works in austin let me check with them and see if they can give you a good price. Let me know if you want me to.

Hello Tofu ! Excellent. My e-mail is tonylamz@yahoo.com . Please ask your friends to contact via e-mail and provide

a phone number and I will contact them. I am over at 620 and Parmer Lane's area.

THANK YOU so much for yours and everyone's assistance. This forum is awesome, with very knowledgable and helpful members. You guys truly are the best !