Tranny Fluid Testing?

rmcphearson

'97 sc300 114,000 miles. I had my dealer put a new rear main engine seal in and when I got it back I noticed its not shifting smoothly. I took it back and took the mechanic for a ride and he said it's smooth. "It doesn't get any better than that" he says. That's horse#$%. It wasn't doing that before, and my old dodge truck shifts much smoother. Someone told me they must have put new fluid in the tranny and this is the problem.And that I could add lubeguard(brand) friction modifier.My owner's manual calls for D-II or DEXRON III (DEXRON II). I've heard some people have this problem when the car called for toyota type 4 fluid and something different was added but could it also happen the other way around? (If they added toyota type 4 when my car needs type II or III) I'm not going to ask them what they added because I won't trust what they say anyway. Any suggestions? Should I flush or add the friction modifier or what?

Ok, they did replace the tranny fluid. Type 4 is the replacement for type 2. ( Type 2 is no longer in use). What I think you may be experiencing here is what we call case cracking cries. When you have a motor that has been put together and run for over 100,000 miles, over the course it has all broken in together and worn parts have seated themselves together. When you " crack the case" and start doing major moving, your going to have some parts that won't "line up " like they did before.

At this point, you have 2 options available. One is to just let it "break in" for awile. It may get better over some time as the gear tines regrind to fit thier new homes. The second alternative is to take it in and have the transmission tuned and adjusted. Although I think this is only an option for an extreme case as it can be expensive. I wouldn't advise putting any addatives in your transmission. I think if you just give it some time, it may not get as smooth as it once was, but it should get better.

'97 sc300 114,000 miles. I had my dealer put a new rear main engine seal in and when I got it back I noticed its not shifting smoothly. I took it back and took the mechanic for a ride and he said it's smooth. "It doesn't get any better than that" he says. That's horse#$%. It wasn't doing that before, and my old dodge truck shifts much smoother. Someone told me they must have put new fluid in the tranny and this is the problem.And that I could add lubeguard(brand) friction modifier.My owner's manual calls for D-II or DEXRON III (DEXRON II). I've heard some people have this problem when the car called for toyota type 4 fluid and something different was added but could it also happen the other way around? (If they added toyota type 4 when my car needs type II or III) I'm not going to ask them what they added because I won't trust what they say anyway. Any suggestions? Should I flush or add the friction modifier or what?