2008 Lx 570 Vs 2007 Lx 470

cthronson

I know this is premature, but I thought I'd get the topic started because I will be in the market to replace my GX 470 next year. I have had 2 Landcruisers and 2 LX 470s (the last one being a 2001 model) that ultimately I traded for a GX. I put 56,ooo miles on my old LX, several hundred miles off road and in the worst weather imaginable, and loved the vehicle. I also do think the LX is a step above the GX in build quality, ride, carrying capacity, etc., and thus the interest. The reason I traded was that I wanted navigation and side airbags, and Lexus didn't offer those later vehicles in the color choices I wanted.

There is a very good walk around on YouTube of the LX 570 at the Quail Event in August, if you haven't seen it. Autospies did it. That gives the best view so far of the features of the vehicle.

The styling of the new 570 is starting to grow on me, but I also like the simple styling of the outgoing model. I suppose I worry a little, without much justification, that Lexus\Toyota will somehow cheapen the build quality of the new 570, like Mercedes has done over the last 10 years with many of their models, and is just now starting to rethink. I was constantly amazed at the structure and quality, both inside and out, of my 470.

Anyway, the next few months should be interesting as we await the debut of the new version.

I would not worry by comparing it to MB's as they were a solid car but got caught in loss of sales and poor reliability by not getting better like other manufactures . Instead the rested on their laurels and it only got worse by adding new technologies to compound the reliability. I would still buy a analog or pre 98 MB as they are great.

The new Lexus vehicles are just as good if not better by always raising the bar and not cutting corners. No worrying needed.

What will be interesting, and what my dilemma is, is how the 2007 stacks up against the 2008, and if the numerous changes add up to a real improvement. There are a lot of new and late model LX 470s on the market at attractive prices, and I wonder if picking up one of those would make more sense.

I realize that the current model has been around for a decade with modest changes since introduction, but some things are so right to begin with that dramatic change is often change for the worse. So again, it will be interesting to see...

• 2 months later...

If you like to customize your vehicle (bumpers, roof racks, etc.), the older style has more accessories available. What I don't like of the newer stuff is the trend to replace mechanical levers like the transfer case shifter with electronic push buttons plus a host of not-so-useful gizmos that add to cost and reduce reliability (like tire pressure sensors albeit those are or will be federally mandated). For any new car, whether it's toyota, lexus, or a domestic, I'd wait a couple of years until the bugs are worked out. Look at the Tundra. First engine problems, then the tranny not shifting smoothly, then faulty rear tailgates.