Transmission Fluid

jwarner191

The service station put Wynn's TransFormer AT fluid in my RX300, after doing a transmission flush with another Wynn's product using their machine that gets all the metal filings out. The fluid "transforms Dexron III/Mercon ATF into a highly friction modified OEM replacement fluid".... so am I in trouble, or in big trouble now? OR (I hope) it's OK to leave the stuff in my transmission. The car runs fine, but they just did this 2 days ago.

Do a search on this forum using "transmission failure" as your key words. You'll be astonished at the amount of posts that pop up as a result. The early model RX300s are well-known for their lousy transmissions....

As a former owner of an RX300 with a transmission that failed at 48,000 miles, I always caution owners to run nothing but Toyota Type T-IV transmission fluid in order to protect themselves. I don't believe that Type T-IV is any better than some of the Amsoil or other high-end transmission fluids out there on the market, but Toyota requires that you run nothing but Type T-IV fluid or else you void your warranty....

If I were you, I would go back to the service station that did this work for you (after you do the necessary research), educate them on the topic and why you have valid reasons to be concerned, and make them thoroughly clean out your transmission system again using nothing but Type T-IV fluid (which can be purchased by the quart at any Toyota dealership parts department)....

The service station put Wynn's TransFormer AT fluid in my RX300, after doing a transmission flush with another Wynn's product using their machine that gets all the metal filings out. The fluid "transforms Dexron III/Mercon ATF into a highly friction modified OEM replacement fluid".... so am I in trouble, or in big trouble now? OR (I hope) it's OK to leave the stuff in my transmission. The car runs fine, but they just did this 2 days ago.

If your RX is by any chance still under warranty then get that stuff out of your transaxle IMMEDIATELY and destroy any documentation of same.

Otherwise your transaxle is on a fail schedule of 70-80,000 miles anyway so why worry.

But if it were mine I would DUMP that wynns stuff immediately in favor of whatever Toyota recommends.

The addative you put in is pure snake oil and has - at best - just degraded your ATF to replacement status - LEXUS, FORD, GM, TOYOTA and just about all major manufactures specifically recommend against adding anything to your engine oil, ATF, PSF. Sorry to hear that you were taken in by this - regretably you need to drop the oil pan on your transmission and replace the fluid in the transmission and troque converter with a reputable product : Use a major brand name product that specifically meets the ATF spec listed in your owners manual - Chevron, Texaco, Exxon, Mobil all make excellent ATF products.