Fuel Door Spring

gmcc

Need help with a crazy little problem on my son's 99 ES300. He lost the little spring that pops the door open when you push the release button. I can not see where the spring attaches. Is this just a matter of replacing the spring or is it more involved?

Need help with a crazy little problem on my son's 99 ES300. He lost the little spring that pops the door open when you push the release button. I can not see where the spring attaches. Is this just a matter of replacing the spring or is it more involved?

Had the same problem before, but didn't know until the next fill up. I went into the gas station and got a few slips of lottery forms. Jammed that into the right side of the gas door and pushed the release button . . . OPEN!!!

Well. . it's not really a spring. It's just a piece of metal folded in halves. You can just get a small piece of metal, fold it in halves and glue it to the car. The spring is located at the LEFT edge of the gas opening on the car body.

Just carry a few pieces of paper or index cards with you.. .. problem solved!

I had the same problem with my 99. The spring located near the hinge of the fuel door broke off so the door would not pop open. I fixed this by opening the door manually, using the emergency release located in the trunk, and putting a small metal binder clip on the fuel door close to where the original spring was. You may have to fiddle with the location until you get it to provide the correct amount of spring against the rubber around the nozzle opening. Be sure to mask the metallic area on the door where the clip will attach to prevent possible scratches and also to coat the clip with some anti-rust paint.

• 3 weeks later...

You can get a replacement for like $8 from a parts dealer. It's easy to replace it. Just pop it in.