Squeaky/clanking Metal Noise On Bumpy Roads

vektron

Hello everyone,

This thing is driving me nuts :wacko: , specially now in the summer that I some times drive with the windows down.

It is not a rattling noise, it only happens when I hit a bump. Sounds as it is coming from the rear of the truck.

I took apart the rear brakes in case it was a loose pad, but all was in order, clips, shims, caliper, ets. I also had my local mechanic take a stab at it, and he looked underneath for anything loose, but he only guessed at the spare tire been loose. I tightened the spare tire some more, but nothing.

Not sure if anyone here has seen this before or have any recommendations that I can try.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

I had this problem too.

Over a pot hole. Over a speed bump. Into or out of the driveway.

I turned out to be my EMERGENCY BRAKE!

It was locked up and the cable and emergency brake parts were skqueaking and clanking around. It was annoying. It was a simple fix.

I sometimes get a rattling vibration from the heatshields, but this is more often at a stop light, when the car is in idle. But this niose is nothing like the squeaks and clanks you descibe.

GOOD LUCK!

• 1 month later...
Hello everyone,

This thing is driving me nuts :wacko: , specially now in the summer that I some times drive with the windows down.

It is not a rattling noise, it only happens when I hit a bump. Sounds as it is coming from the rear of the truck.

I took apart the rear brakes in case it was a loose pad, but all was in order, clips, shims, caliper, ets. I also had my local mechanic take a stab at it, and he looked underneath for anything loose, but he only guessed at the spare tire been loose. I tightened the spare tire some more, but nothing.

Not sure if anyone here has seen this before or have any recommendations that I can try.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks. :cheers:

This happened to us, and they came up with the same thing....spare tire. When that did not work , they had other excuses. In the end, it was the reaer brakes that were done by a non-Lexus shop. They did not know that there is an aadditional spacer or something that needs to be put on. We had to go to Lexus for them to tell us to go back to the person that put on the brakes to put this other piece on.

• 2 years later...

Hi.

I know this is a long shot. But I have the same problem with my 2000 LX. Can someone let me know how easy of a fix it is to unlock or emergency brake so that the cables & metal piece stop making noises when I go over bumps on the road? If it's something that can be DIY'd, I'd like to take a shot before I take it to dealer. I've taken the car to a couple of independent shops and they're clueless. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Steve

After some research online, I found this TSB for 1998 LC regading rattling noise reduction from emergency brakes. I'm going to take my car to dealer to get this service done. I'm pretty certain this is the root of my problem. I've attached the TSB below.

Steve

PARKING_BRAKE_ADJUSTMENT_PROCEDURE_TO_REDUCE_RATTLE_NOISE_T-BR002-99.pdf

Just a follow-up from my visit to the dealership regarding this issue. It was in fact the emergency brake locking up. After it has been engaged, it doesn't fully disengage when hand brake is released. This is mainly caused by rust and wear on variour parts of emergency brake assembly due to age and limited use. The dealership suggested getting the whole assembly replaced for $250 parts and $600 labor. Of course, I said hell no. The cost incurred was a diagnostic fee of $159. Still too much for merely disengaging e-brake, but worth not having to live with the noise.

Steve

• 1 year later...

I just paid the $650 you describe...it fixed it ...now to repair my wallet.

I never use ebrake on my truck ( chicago flat as a table) and it was all rusted out. so i wish i had known i could have just knocked out the ebrake to kill the squeeking and saved the money