Gs300 Owners

I HAVE A 99 GS THAT IDLES ABOUT 1500 RPM WHEN STARTING IT OFF IN THE MORNING OR AFTER RESTING FOR A FEW HOURS. THIS LASTS FOR ABOUT 2-3 MINUTES THEN IT REGULATES ITSELF. DOES THIS HAPPEN TO ANYONE ELSE OR DOES YOUR IDLE GO STRAIGHT TO WHERE IT NEEDS TO BE RIGHT AWAY???

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED

THANXXX

• 2 weeks later...
This is normal. Increased cold RPM helps heat the catalytic converters faster and improve emissions. Millions of cars do this every day.

the increased idle speed comes from the car running a slightly richer mix of air and fuel while the motor is cold to help protect it. In the old days they called it a choke.

I would have to politely disagree with the comment about "protecting the motor." There just isn't any evidence of that being the reason this is done.

It should be common knowledge to anyone familiar with emissions and such that the increased idle is merely for purposes of heating the cats.

Neither of these things, a choke or starting an engine and maintaining a faster than normally desired idle has anything to do with protecting the engine.

Only if metals stopped expanding when they get warm, and oil remains at the top of the motor. Having the increased idle helps expand the rings quicker, and the oil to flow faster as it is much thicker when it's cold, and hence doesn't flow as well. In fact, if you started a cold motor that went straight to "standing idle" and put it drive, the car would probably just die. And you would have to restart it and wait until the motor warmed up enouph to be able to run under load. That has nothing to do with warm cats.

Only if metals stopped expanding when they get warm, and oil remains at the top of the motor. Having the increased idle helps expand the rings quicker, and the oil to flow faster as it is much thicker when it's cold, and hence doesn't flow as well. In fact, if you started a cold motor that went straight to "standing idle" and put it drive, the car would probably just die. And you would have to restart it and wait until the motor warmed up enouph to be able to run under load. That has nothing to do with warm cats.

SO BASICALLY U GUYS THAT HAVE THE 300 ARE SAYING THAT THIS IS NORMAL FOR IT TO IDLE THIS HIGH I MEAN IT SOUNDS LIKE THE CAR IS GOING NUTS WHEN U START IT OFF AND LIKE WHEN YOU PUT IT IN DRIVE IT JUST GOES OFF BY ITSELF IM SO CONFUSED BECAUSE I HAD A 98 THAT NEVER DID THIS

SO BASICALLY U GUYS THAT HAVE THE 300 ARE SAYING THAT THIS IS NORMAL FOR IT TO IDLE THIS HIGH I MEAN IT SOUNDS LIKE THE CAR IS GOING NUTS WHEN U START IT OFF AND LIKE WHEN YOU PUT IT IN DRIVE IT JUST GOES OFF BY ITSELF IM SO CONFUSED BECAUSE I HAD A 98 THAT NEVER DID THIS

It is normal. And your 98 did it also. It just may not have been as evident. The next time you have the car serviced, ask to have the idle checked with an ODB II scanner. You may have an engine temp sensor that needs to be adjusted. You may want to try cleaning the air intake and throttle body just to eliminate those possibilities also.

oh i even took the car in to the dealer to have it looked at all they said was they could not find anything wrong with it but if it went to about 2000 rpm then i should bring it back but i did clean the throttle body and that actually made it a lil bit worse there was some gunk build up i cleaned that and it made it idle even higher for even longer

Under normal operation, your car should high idle between 1100 and 1200 rpm. Once the car has warmed it should idle around 750-900 rpm. ( Altitudes will effect this.)

1500 rpm is a little on the high side. If you took your car in already, I would just request that they adjust it to 1100 rpm for you. They should easily be able to do that. I agree with them that there is probably nothing wrong with the car. But if the high cold idle is bothering you, then just have it adjusted.

Under normal operation, your car should high idle between 1100 and 1200 rpm. Once the car has warmed it should idle around 750-900 rpm. ( Altitudes will effect this.)

1500 rpm is a little on the high side. If you took your car in already, I would just request that they adjust it to 1100 rpm for you. They should easily be able to do that. I agree with them that there is probably nothing wrong with the car. But if the high cold idle is bothering you, then just have it adjusted.

yea if u could do that then i guess i will ask them to but they never mentioned anything about that or that it could be done but i will take your advice and go back, thank u

As I am enjoying this thread, I come to a question. How do you adjust the idle speed on a car that has no means of adjustment? The idle speed on the vehicle in question is directly controlled by the ECU through modulation of the throttle plate. There is no "idle screw" or even an idle control valve.

So how then, is the idle speed adjusted?

As I am enjoying this thread, I come to a question. How do you adjust the idle speed on a car that has no means of adjustment? The idle speed on the vehicle in question is directly controlled by the ECU through modulation of the throttle plate. There is no "idle screw" or even an idle control valve.

hmm thats a good question to ponder but what in the hell is wrong with it its getting really bad lately 2 if the car doesnt start for an hour it will do it and about a month ago u had to leave it overnight to show these symptoms wow i have never had a problem with these cars i have owned 3 of them for the past 3 years but this is aggravating me and i am losing the liking i have to the car

The ECU is the controller. The idle speed is programmed into the ECU. You have the option of changing that setting with an OBD II scanner. Heck on my AEM I can adjust my idle at any time from within the car.

When 99 takes the car in, they will hook it up to the ODB analyzer, and it will tell them what the idle speeds are set to. If the car isn't set to the proper RPM's they can simply change that setting. But if the car is set to let's say 750 RPM, but the car is idling at 1000 RPM, then that would be a tell that maybe a sensor is going bad, like the engine heat sensor, or maybe TPS, (throttle postions sensor).

The only other thing it could be is some leaking vacuume hoses. I was asumming they were checked as 99 said that he had the car in for a service and they said the car was fine. BUt it is possible that they ovwer looked a vacuume leak.

I HAVE A 99 GS THAT IDLES ABOUT 1500 RPM WHEN STARTING IT OFF IN THE MORNING OR AFTER RESTING FOR A FEW HOURS. THIS LASTS FOR ABOUT 2-3 MINUTES THEN IT REGULATES ITSELF. DOES THIS HAPPEN TO ANYONE ELSE OR DOES YOUR IDLE GO STRAIGHT TO WHERE IT NEEDS TO BE RIGHT AWAY???

THANXXX

Dont know would this help, but have you tried resetting the ecu (disconnecting negative terminal) ? :unsure:

THANXXX

Dont know would this help, but have you tried resetting the ecu (disconnecting negative terminal) ? :unsure:

yes i disconnected the negative battery terminal for a few minutes but nothing changed

THANXXX

yes i disconnected the negative battery terminal for a few minutes but nothing changed

THANXXX

Well, if you have done that, and have left the negative off for 10 mins or so, I guess it should be the idling set for 1500 <_< , so maybe listen to the pros and ask your dealer to adjust it for you. 1500 does sound abit on the high side. :unsure: